A Beard of Stars
|A Beard of Stars|
|Studio album by|
|Released||13 March 1970|
|Recorded||April–November 1969 at Trident Studios, London, England|
|Genre||Psychedelic folk, folk rock|
|Label||Regal Zonophone (UK), |
Blue Thumb (US)
|Tyrannosaurus Rex chronology|
|Singles from A Beard of Stars|
A Beard of Stars is the fourth studio album by English psychedelic folk band Tyrannosaurus Rex, and their last before changing their name to T. Rex. It was released on 13 March 1970 by record label Regal Zonophone.
A Beard of Stars was the act's first album with Marc Bolan's new musical partner Mickey Finn and featured Bolan on vocals, guitar, organ and bass and Finn on percussion and bass. It was notable for being the first album on which Bolan used electric guitar, although that instrument had first appeared on the band's 1969 single "King of the Rumbling Spires"/"Do You Remember". According to Mark Deming of AllMusic, A Beard of Stars "was the turning point where Marc Bolan began evolving from an unrepentant hippie into the full-on swaggering rock star he would be within a couple of years, though for those not familiar with his previous work, it still sounds like the work of a man with his mind plugged into the age of lysergic enchantment".
Four tracks from this album, including "Great Horse", were salvaged from spring 1969 sessions for a fourth album with original percussionist Steve Peregrin Took in the wake of "King of the Rumbling Spires". These four tracks were overdubbed for release by Finn, Bolan and Visconti. A further four tracks from the Took sessions – rejected for the final album – subsequently surfaced on various compilations, three ("Once Upon the Seas of Abyssinia", "Blessed Wild Apple Girl", "Demon Queen") in Bolan's lifetime, the fourth ("Ill Starred Man") posthumously.
All tracks written by Marc Bolan.
|2.||"A Day Laye"||1:56|
|4.||"Fist Heart Mighty Dawn Dart"||2:45|
|5.||"Pavilions of Sun"||2:49|
|7.||"By the Light of a Magical Moon"||2:51|
|1.||"A Beard of Stars"||1:37|
- Marc Bolan - acoustic and electric guitars, lead vocals, chord organ, bass
- Mickey Finn - Moroccan clay drums, backing vocals, tabla, finger cymbals, bass 
- Deming, Mark. "A Beard of Stars – T. Rex,Tyrannosaurus Rex | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- Paytress, Mark (1992). 20th Century Boy – The Marc Bolan Story. Sedgewick and Jackson.
- "T. Rex | Artist | Official Charts". Official Charts. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- "Tyrannosaurus Rex - A Beard Of Stars". Discogs. Retrieved 5 December 2018.