A Burning Hot Summer
|A Burning Hot Summer|
|Directed by||Philippe Garrel|
|Produced by||Edouard Weil|
|Written by||Philippe Garrel|
|Music by||John Cale|
|Edited by||Yann Dedet|
|Distributed by||Wild Bunch Distribution|
A Burning Hot Summer (French: Un été brûlant), also titled That Summer, is a 2011 French-Italian-Swiss drama film directed by Philippe Garrel, starring Monica Bellucci, Louis Garrel, Céline Sallette, and Jérôme Robart. It was screened at the 68th Venice International Film Festival in competition.
A painter Frédéric has an actress wife Angèle. Frédéric becomes friends with Paul. Paul and his girlfriend Élisabeth stay with Frédéric and Angèle in Rome.
- Monica Bellucci as Angèle
- Louis Garrel as Frédéric
- Céline Sallette as Élisabeth
- Jérôme Robart as Paul
- Vladislav Galard as Roland
- Vincent Macaigne as Achille
- Grégory Fitoussi as Lepartenare
- Maurice Garrel as grandfather
The film was the second collaboration between director Philippe Garrel and the French production company Rectangle Productions. It received co-production support from Italy's Faro Film and Switzerland's Prince Film. The 3.1 million euro budget included money from the CNC, the Italian Ministry of Culture, the Swiss Federal Office for Culture, 400,000 euro from Eurimages and 192,000 euro from the Île-de-France region. The film was first announced in 2009 under the title J'ai gardé les anges, which means "I have kept the angels". The title had been changed to the current when principal photography began in July 2010. Filming took place during eight weeks in Rome and Paris.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 55% based on 11 reviews, with an average rating of 5.5/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 62 out of 100, based on 6 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- Hoeij, Boyd van (3 September 2011). "That Summer". Variety. Retrieved 20 October 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Smith, Ian Hayden (2012). International Film Guide 2012. p. 121. ISBN 978-1908215017.
- "Venice film festival 2011: the full programme". The Guardian. 27 July 2011. Retrieved 20 October 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Lemercier, Fabien (2010-07-26). "Summer heats up for the Garrels and Bellucci". Cineuropa. Retrieved 2011-01-13. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Dokhan, Julien (2009-06-10). "Philippe Garrel capture l'ange Monica Bellucci". AlloCiné (in French). Tiger Global. Retrieved 2011-01-13. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Programme 68th Venice International Film Festival" (PDF). labiennale.org. Venice Biennale. 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-03-23. Retrieved 2011-08-22. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Un été brûlant". AlloCiné (in French). Tiger Global. Retrieved 2011-07-28. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "A Burning Hot Summer". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 20 October 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "A Burning Hot Summer". Metacritic. Retrieved 20 October 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Young, Deborah (2 September 2011). "That Summer: Venice Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 20 October 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)