A Christmas Story (1972 TV special)
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (November 2017)
|A Christmas Story|
|Music by||Hoyt Curtin|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Hanna-Barbera Productions|
Avco Broadcasting Corporation (1972–1976)|
Multimedia Program Productions (1976–1983)
Multimedia Entertainment (1983–1989)
Great American Broadcasting (1989–1991)
Turner Program Services (1991–1996)
Warner Bros. Television Distribution (1996–present)
As a family gathers around the tree on Christmas Eve, their son Timmy has made a special wish in his letter to Santa Claus. But the letter is found – unmailed – by the lovable family dog Goober and his friend, Gumdrop the mouse. Together, they set off into the snowy night to deliver the letter to Santa. Overcoming many perils – including a lurking gang of alley cats – they finally find Santa. Timmy's letter is delivered, Gumdrop and Goober make it home safely and a boy's special wish magically comes true on Christmas.
The songs featured in A Christmas Story included:
- "Sounds of Christmas Day"
- "O Come, All Ye Faithful"
- "Where Do You Look for Santa?"
- "Which One is the Real Santa Claus?"
"Which One is the Real Santa Claus?", "Sounds of Christmas Day" and "Hope" were re-used five years later in the 1977 TV special A Flintstone Christmas. "Hope" was also re-used in Yogi's First Christmas (1980).
- Daws Butler – Gumdrop, Second Dog
- Paul Winchell – Goober, Sleezer, Runto
- Walter Tetley – Timmy, Boy
- Janet Waldo – Timmy's Mother, Girl
- Don Messick – Timmy's Father, Squirrel
- John Stephenson – Polecat, Postman, First Dog
- Hal Smith – Santa Claus, Fatcat
- Produced and Directed By William Hanna and Joseph Barbera
- Associate Producer: Alex Lovy
- Story: Ken Spears, Joe Ruby
- Voices: Daws Butler, Don Messick, Hal Smith, John Stephenson, Walter Tetley, Janet Waldo, Paul Winchell, Paul DeKorte, Randy Kemner, Stephen McAndrew, Susie McCune, Judi Richards
- Animation Director: Charles A. Nichols
- Production Design: Iwao Takamoto
- Layout: Mike Arens, Ric Gonzalez, Dan Noonan
- Backgrounds: F. Montealegre, Gary Niblett
- Animation: Ed Barge, Bill Hutten, Tony Love, Jerry Hathcock, Ed Love, Don Patterson, Ray Patterson
- Production Supervisor: Victor O. Schipek
- Musical Director: Hoyt Curtin
- Technical Supervisor: Frank Paiker
- Ink & Paint Supervisor: Roberta Greutert
- Xerography: Robert "Tiger" West
- Sound Direction: Richard Olson, Bill Getty
- Editorial Supervisor: Larry Cowan
- Music Editor: Pat Foley
- Effects Editor: Earl Bennett
- Negative Consultant: William E. DeBoer
- Post Production: Joed Eaton
- Camera: Charles Flekal, Roy Wade
Home media releases
On July 31, 2012, Warner Home Video released Hanna-Barbera Christmas Classics Collection on DVD in region 1 via their Warner Archive Collection burn on demand service. This collection features a trilogy of Christmas specials: A Christmas Story, The Town Santa Forgot and Casper's First Christmas.
- List of works produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions
- List of United States Christmas television specials
- "Hanna-Barbera Christmas Classics Collection". WB Shop. Retrieved 17 August 2018.