A Closed and Common Orbit
|Publisher||Hodder & Stoughton|
|Preceded by||The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet|
|Followed by||Record of a Spaceborn Few|
In the aftermath of the events in The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, Lovelace the artificial intelligence loads herself into an android body and leaves the starship Wayfarer to pursue an independent existence in the company of Pepper, a technician. A parallel narrative strand explores Pepper's past as a genetically modified child slave.
At the Guardian, Adam Roberts noted that, although the novel is a sequel, it "works as a standalone story"; he also observed that it shares the first book's strengths (including "complex characters" and "sheer likability") and weaknesses (including "a tendency for characters to pootle about rather than move the larger plot forward"). Publishers Weekly called it "worthy", with a "friendly, soothing atmosphere" and "beautiful pacing and structure".
Strange Horizons lauded Chambers both for her "delightful world-building", and for her skillful presentation thereof. The A.V. Club considered it to be "more intimate than its predecessor", while James Nicoll described it as "more focused (and) more effective".
- 2017 Hugo Awards, at TheHugoAwards.org; retrieved October 11, 2017
- A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers review – an AI on the run, by Adam Roberts, in the Guardian; published October 22, 2016; retrieved October 11, 2017
- A Closed and Common Orbit, reviewed at Publishers Weekly; published April 10, 2017; retrieved October 11, 2017
- A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers, reviewed by Maggie Clark, at Strange Horizons; published June 5, 2017; retrieved October 11, 2017
- Becky Chambers’ universe gets smaller in A Closed And Common Orbit, by Mike Vago, at the A.V. Club; published October 31, 2016; retrieved October 11, 2017
- Hide Me in a Hollow Sound - A Closed and Common Orbit — Becky Chambers - Wayfarers, book 2, reviewed by James Nicoll; at James Nicoll Reviews; published April 10, 2017; retrieved October 11, 2017