A Cool, Dry Place
|A Cool, Dry Place|
A Cool Dry, Place Poster
|Directed by||John N. Smith|
|Produced by||Katie Jacobs|
|Written by||Matthew McDuffe|
Based on a novel by Michael Grant Jaffe
|Music by||Curt Sobel|
|Edited by||Susan Shipton|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|November 6, 1998|
A Cool, Dry Place is a 1998 drama movie adapted by Matthew McDuffie from the 1996 novel Dance Real Slow by Michael Grant Jaffe. It was directed by John N. Smith. The movie stars Vince Vaughn, Monica Potter, Joey Lauren Adams and Bobby Moat.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (September 2015)
Russ, (Vince Vaughn) a single father balances his work as an attorney with the care of his five-year-old son, Calvin (Bobby Moat). Father and son adjust to their new life in rural Kansas. Eighteen months ago wife and mother, Kate, (Monica Potter) abandoned husband and son. Grandpa from Florida sends Calvin a Man-of-War jellyfish. The jellyfish is obviously dead but the boy wants to keep it and no less names it "Mom".
Russ also coaches the local high school basketball team and he kicks disrespectful Noah (Devon Sawa) off the team. The boy's older sister and guardian Beth, (Joey Lauren Adams) dumps a bag of dog food on the coach's windshield. This meeting leads to a new relationship with Beth, a veterinarian's assistant. Suddenly wife Kate reappears and wants to re-assert herself in her husband and son's life. On top of the romantic conflict, Russ is also presented with the opportunity of a lifetime to join a major firm in Dallas.
While Russ is in Dallas for the job interview, Kate runs off with the boy to Cincinnati. The father follows his wife to get the unhappy son. Russ then turns down the job, the wife gives the boy back to his dad, and Russ and Calvin return to Kansas and Beth.
- Devon Sawa - Noah Ward
- Joey Lauren Adams - Beth Ward
- Monica Potter - Kate Durrell
- Vince Vaughn - Russell Durrell
- Bobby Moat - Calvin Durrell
- Dean McDermott - Sheriff Pritchard
- Ben Bass - Placement Agent
- Nicholas Campbell - Frankie Gooland
- Siobhan Fallon - Charlotte
- Jenny Robertson - Joyce Ives
- Todd Louiso - Bob Harper
- Skipp Sudduth - Jack Newbauer
- Jennifer Irwin - Connie Harper
- Aleksa Palladino - Bonnie
- Melanie Nicholls-King - Dallas Desk Clerk
- Beth Littleford - Suzanne
- Chris Bauer - Larry Ives
- Janet Kidder - Crystal
- Deming, Mark (2010). "A Cool Dry Place (1998)". Retrieved 2012-01-07.
|This 1990s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|