Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities
A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities is an English language encyclopedia first published in 1842. The second, improved and enlarged, edition appeared in 1848, and there were many revised editions up to 1890. The encyclopedia covered law, religion, architecture, warfare, daily life, and similar subjects primarily from the standpoint of a classicist. It was one of a series of reference works on classical antiquity by William Smith, the others cover persons and places. It runs to well over a million words in any edition, and all editions are now in the public domain.
References and sources
- "Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities: Introduction". LacusCurtius. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: William Smith (1890). "Preface to the Third Edition". In Smith, William. Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities. London: John Murray.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities.|
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- 1870 edition, OCR at Ancient Library[dead link]
- 1875 edition at LacusCurtius (about 50% of it: the Roman articles)
- 1890 edition at Perseus Project
Also the Internet Archive has a derivative work:
- Smith, William (1854). A School Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities abridged from the larger dictionary. New York : Harper & Brothers
- Smith, William (1874). A Dictionary of Roman and Greek Antiquities with Nearly 2000 Engravings on Wood from Ancient Originals illustrative of the industrial arts and social life of the Greeks and Romans. New York : D Appleton & Co.
- Smith, William (1884). A Smaller Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities. London : J. Murray
- Warre Cornish, Francis; Smith, William (1898). A Concise Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities based on William Smith's larger dictonary, and incorporating the results of modern research. London : Murray
|This article about a nonfiction book on Ancient Greece is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a nonfiction book on Ancient Rome is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an encyclopedia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|