A Dream (DeBarge song)
|This article does not cite any sources. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Single by DeBarge|
|from the album In a Special Way|
|Released||September 24, 1983|
"A Dream" is a song by DeBarge. Written by Bunny DeBarge and produced by El DeBarge, the song is from their hit album In a Special Way. Although the track was not released as a single, the song has been popular over the years on R&B radio and has been sampled by several artists in the hip-hop and urban contemporary genres.
"A Dream" was one of the few songs in which DeBarge member, sister Bunny DeBarge played a role as both its songwriter and its lead vocalist while her four brothers (Mark, Randy, El and James DeBarge) sung in the background. The song talked of a woman's dose of reality when she realizes the happiness she thought she felt with a suitor wasn't real, recalling how at one point she and her lover "danced to a melody" of a song, then when "the music stops", she realizes the dream is "haunting (her) again".
Samples, covers and other use
• In the following years, the song would be used as a sample for some R&B and hip-hop songs, mainly used in the basis of hit singles for Blackstreet (their 1997 hit, "Don't Leave Me"), Tupac Shakur (his 1996 single, "I Ain't Mad At Cha"), and Fifth Harmony ("We Know" song off their 2015 album, Reflection).
• In 1997, R&B singer Mary J. Blige covered the song for the soundtrack to the Chris Tucker film, Money Talks.
• In 1997, during a scene in the film Soul Food, Miles (portrayed by Michael Beach) played a variation of the song's instrumental intro as rehearsal for his wife's cousin Faith (Gina Ravera) for a dance audition.
• In 2003 Keshia Chanté used a sample of it in a song titled "Unpredictable". It was also used in 2008 by Lady Gaga on the song "Paper Gangsta." Victoria Beckham also sampled "A Dream" in an unreleased song she recorded titled "Back To You"
- Lead vocals by Bunny DeBarge
- Background vocals by Bunny DeBarge, Randy DeBarge and El DeBarge
- Written by Bunny DeBarge
- Produced by El DeBarge
- DeBarge Album-In a Special Way. allmusic.com