|Narrated by||Anthony Call|
|Theme music composer||Ed Smart, Cret Wilson|
|Opening theme||Ed Smart, Cret Wilson|
|Ending theme||Ed Smart|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||9|
|No. of episodes||91 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||43-50 minutes|
|Production company(s)||New Dominion Pictures|
|Original network||Discovery Channel
Destination America (2012-2016)
|Original release||October 28, 2005
- November 9, 2007|
October 12, 2012 - present
A Haunting is an American paranormal anthology television series that depicts eyewitness accounts of possession, exorcism, and ghostly encounters. The show originally aired from October 28, 2005 to November 9, 2007 on the Discovery Channel, which produced four seasons of 39 episodes. After nearly a five-year hiatus, New Dominion productions began producing and airing new episodes of a A Haunting on the Destination America channel in October 2012. As of Season 9, the show is airing regularly on the TLC Network.
A Haunting originally began as two feature-length specials, A Haunting in Connecticut and A Haunting in Georgia, which were developed by Allison Erkelens, who also served as head writer. The specials were executive produced by Tom Naughton and Nicolas Valcour for New Dominion Pictures. Based on strong ratings, A Haunting became a weekly series on the Discovery Channel and was produced by Larry Silverman. Production of new episodes ceased after four seasons in 2007. Reruns of A Haunting continued to air on the Discovery Channel and its sister networks. In 2012, Destination America brought back A Haunting based on strong interest from fans and viewers. Seasons five through nine have aired on Destination America and The Learning Channel.
The series has featured several alleged paranormal encounters, including traditional hauntings, demonic activity, ghost attacks, possessions, and cryptic visions. The series covers incidents from various locations across the United States, as well as five episodes that were set in Canada, England, Ireland, and Taiwan. Episodes may be set in houses, apartments, farms, commercial areas, and even vast outdoor regions. Most episodes present several accounts of paranormal experiences through cinematic re-enactments, which are accompanied by commentary from eyewitnesses and investigators themselves.
According to Silverman, the show's writers search for stories and then filter out accounts with enough substantial content. He has further added that the episodes are strictly based on the accounts of victims, although the Discovery Channel did compel the show's producers to sanitize certain case histories due to their graphic sexual and violent content. Billy Bean, whose real-life experiences were first featured in the episode "House of the Dead", claimed that the show's producers left out some of his story and that "some of the content was altered."
Episodes within the series follow a frequently recurring pattern, in which victims of hauntings begin noticing peculiar incidents that gradually become more frequent and bizarre. Denial is most often the first reaction. As the situation escalates, however, and every possible conventional explanation is explored and found wanting, they either contact a paranormal investigator, a member of the clergy, or a spiritual medium for assistance. In some cases, victims are able to successfully resolve their paranormal issues, while in others, victims are forced to vacate their residence. Certain episodes have also featured commentary from famed demonologist and clairvoyant Ed and Lorraine Warren, who have actually investigated some of the cases featured on the series. The episode "The Dark Side" was dedicated to the memory of Ed, who died in 2006.
Gold Circle Films created two feature-length movies based on cases featured in A Haunting, The Haunting in Connecticut which was released in 2009, and The Haunting in Georgia, released in 2013.
On October 14, 2014, Timeless Media Group released A Haunting- The Television Series: Special Edition, a 9-disc box set featuring seasons 1-6.
- "REAL-LIFE AMERICAN HORROR STORIES POSSESS "A HAUNTING," RESURRECTING ON DESTINATION AMERICA THIS OCTOBER". Discovery Web Press. October 2010. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- Anderson, Kelly (September 19, 2012). "Destination America resurrects "A Haunting"". Real Screen. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- Bonko, Larry (2002-12-02). "See more articles from The Virginian Pilot". The Virginian Pilot. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- "Fiendish Friday Interview: Larry Silverman of Discovery Channel's A Haunting". Blogcritics. 2007-10-19. Archived from the original on 5 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-04.
- DiVincenzo, Alex (2013-04-22). "TV Review: A Haunting (TV Series) Season 5 (2012)". Horror News Network. Retrieved 2016-10-30.
- Pena, Jessica (2016-09-26). "Kindred Spirits, A Haunting: Series to Debut on TLC". TV Series Finale. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- Serba, John (2012-11-09). "'A Haunting': Meet the Grand Rapids man whose unsettling Heritage Hill ghost story will be told on TV". The Ann Arbor News. mlive.com. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- Domke, Keith (2016-02-20). "St. Clair Home to Be Featured on TV Shown ‘A Haunting: House of Sorrows’". emissourian.com. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- Marshall, Barbara (2014-08-03). "Ghost story from suburban Greenacres to air on ‘A Haunting’". The Palm Beach Post. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- Parente, Audrey (2006-01-09). "'A Haunting' we will go... Discovery Channel takes a peek inside the 'weird' home of the Dunnams in Deltona". news-journalonline.com. News-Journal Corporation. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- Baird, Mike (2007-10-18). "Corpus Christi ghost house?". Caller Times. NewsBank. Archived from the original on 11 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- Venable, Malcolm (2006-06-17). "Local band rocks out on cable TV tonight.(Daily Break)". The Virginian Pilot. Retrieved 2008-07-23.
- Briggs, Tyler (2008-10-31). "Hinsdale's haunted house has all the frightful ingredients". Olean Times Herald. Retrieved 2008-10-31.
- "A Haunting Seasons 1 & 2 DVD Set". Discovery Channel. 2007. Archived from the original on 24 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-23.
- "Bill Bean Interview for Entertainment Vine". Entertainment Vine. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- "Spirit Seekers are featured in an episode of "A Haunting" on The Discovery Channel.". The Spirit Seekers. 2008-05-29. Retrieved 2008-07-08.
- "The Dark Side". A Haunting. Season 3. Episode 26. 2006-12-14.
- Ebert, Roger (March 25, 2009). "The Haunting in Connecticut review". Chicago Sun-Times. Archived from the original on June 23, 2010. Retrieved June 23, 2010.
- Olsen, Mark (2013-01-31). "Review: 'The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia' loses way". LA Times. Retrieved 2014-05-24.
- Lambert, David (2013-02-21). "A Haunting - The 2012 Episodes Come to DVD with a". TV Shows on DVD. Retrieved 2014-05-24.
- "A Haunting DVD news: Announcement for A Haunting - Season 6 - TVShowsOnDVD.com".
- "A Haunting DVD news: Announcement for A Haunting - Season 7 - TVShowsOnDVD.com".
- "A Haunting- The Television Series *Special Edition* Seasons 1-6 * 9 DVDs* 2014" – via Amazon.