A History of New York
|Subject||History of New York City|
Contemporary critics of the book described it as "an attempt to annihilate the history of America".
A 2005 reviewer described the book as satire and not being a modern novel.
A 2012 reviewer said that despite the book being satire it also contains useful historical facts and context.
- Burstein, Andrew (25 December 2005). "How Christmas Became Merry". The New York Times.
- Ferguson, Robert A. (June 1981). ""Hunting Down a Nation": Irving's A History of New York". Nineteenth-Century Fiction. 36 (1): 22–46. doi:10.2307/3044549.
- Wade, Christine (25 May 2015). "A Satirical Novel of Historic New York". Off the Shelf.
- McGann, Jerome (2012). "Washington Irving, A History of New York, and American History". Early American Literature. 47 (2): 349–376. doi:10.1353/eal.2012.0031.
- Bradley, Elizabeth L. (22 January 2009). "Diedrich Knickerbocker's History of New York | The Leonard Lopate Show". WNYC. The Leonard Lopate Show.