A Horrible Way to Die
|A Horrible Way to Die|
|Directed by||Adam Wingard|
|Produced by||Travis Stevens
|Written by||Simon Barrett|
|Music by||Jasper Justice Leigh|
|Editing by||Adam Wingard|
|Distributed by||Anchor Bay Entertainment|
|Running time||85 minutes|
A Horrible Way to Die is a 2010 horror thriller film written by Simon Barrett and directed by Adam Wingard and produced by Travis Stevens, Simon Barrett and Kim Sherman.
The film follows the journey of an escaped serial killer as he chases down his ex-girlfriend.
It had its world premiere at the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival Vanguard program where it was picked up for distribution by Anchor Bay Entertainment. It also played at Fantastic Fest where it received three major awards: Best Screenplay for Simon Barrett, Best Actor for AJ Bowen and Best Actress for Amy Seimetz.
|This section requires expansion. (September 2011)|
In rural Missouri, serial killer Garrick Turrell (AJ Bowen) escapes from police custody and immediately resumes taking the lives of strangers whilst searching for his ex-girlfriend, Sarah. Meanwhile, having met at group therapy for recovering alcoholics, Sarah (Amy Seimetz) and Kevin (Joe Swanberg) begin to develop a tentative relationship. As the body count builds, Turrell makes his way to Sarah's new location just as she seems to be getting her life in order.
- AJ Bowen as Garrick Turrell
- Melissa Boatright as Jessie
- Steven Buehler as State Trooper 1
- Brandon Carroll as Rusty
- Jen Huemmer as Dark-haired woman
- Lane Hughes as Reed
- Whitney Moore as Daphne
- Kelsey Munger as Elizabeth
- Amy Seimetz as Sarah
- Joe Swanberg as Kevin
- Holly Voges as Carla
- Michael J. Wilson as Jones
A Horrible Way to Die debuted on 14 September 2010 at the Toronto International Film Festival and opened in other film festivals on the dates given below.
|Canada||September 14, 2010||Toronto International Film Festival|
|United States||September 26, 2010||Fantastic Fest|
|Spain||October 11, 2010||Sitges Film Festival|
|United States||October 15, 2010||Hawaii International Film Festival|
|United States||October 16, 2010||Philadelphia Film Festival|
|United States||November 6, 2010||Denver International Film Festival|
|Sweden||November 12, 2010||Stockholm International Film Festival|
|United Kingdom||November 14, 2010||Leeds International Film Festival|
|Canada||April 15, 2011||Calgary Underground Film Festival|
The film has been shown as a special Valentine's Day screening at the independent Showroom cinema in Sheffield, UK.
A Horrible Way to Die was released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc in the United States on September 6, 2011. Bonus materials include audio commentary with director/editor Adam Wingard and writer/producer Simon Barrett and a Behind The Scenes of A HORRIBLE WAY TO DIE featurette.
- "Horrible Way To Die by Adam Wingard". Stockholm International Film Festival. Retrieved 2011-09-15.
- Fleming, Mike (2010-09-17). "TORONTO: Anchor Bay Deal For Thiller ‘Horrible Way To Die’". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2011-09-15.
- "Fantastic Fest 2010 : A Horrible Way to Die". Fantastic Fest. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- Metz, Daniel (2010-09-27). "FANTASTIC FEST 2010 AWARDS ANNOUNCED!". Fantastic Fest. Retrieved 2011-09-15.
- "Noves Visions, the most indie and daring section at SITGES 2010". PRIVATE FOUNDATION SITGES INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL OF CATALONIA. 2010-09-23. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- "Sitges Film Festival » A Horrible Way to Die". PRIVATE FOUNDATION SITGES INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL OF CATALONIA. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- "The Watching Hour At The 33rd Starz Denver Film Festival". Denver Film Society. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Films: A Horrible Way To Die". Denver Film Society. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Festival program 2010". Stockholm International Film Festival. Retrieved 2011-09-15.
- "A Horrible Way to Die – Leeds International Film Festival". Leeds International Film Festival. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "A HORRIBLE WAY TO DIE USA, 2010 : ALBERTA PREMIERE". CALGARY UNDERGROUND FILM FESTIVAL. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- "Anchorbay Entertainment : A Horrible Way to Die". Anchorbay Entertainment. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- Official website
- A Horrible Way to Die at allmovie
- A Horrible Way to Die at the Internet Movie Database
- A Horrible Way to Die at Metacritic
- A Horrible Way to Die at Rotten Tomatoes