A Land Imagined
|A Land Imagined|
|Directed by||Yeo Siew Hua|
|Produced by||Fran Borgia|
|Written by||Yeo Siew Hua|
|Music by||Teo Wei Yong|
|Edited by||Daniel Hui|
Akanga Film Asia
Films de Force Majeure
|Distributed by||mm2 Entertainment (Singapore}|
A Land Imagined (Chinese: 幻土) is a 2018 neo-noir mystery thriller film written and directed by Yeo Siew Hua. A Singapore-France-Netherlands co-production, the film tells the story of a police investigator who uncovers the truth behind the disappearance of a construction worker.
The film premiered in competition on 7 August 2018, at the 71st Locarno Film Festival, and won the top prize of the festival, the Golden Leopard. At Locarno, Yeo also won the Junior Jury award and a Special Mention award. In December 2018, A Land Imagined played in competition at the 29th Singapore International Film Festival, where it was named Best Asian Feature Film by a jury led by Hong Kong director Stanley Kwan. It is the first time a Singaporean film has won the award. The film is scheduled to be released in theatres in early 2019.
The film revolves around Lok, a police officer who is investigating the disappearance of a Chinese migrant worker working at a land reclamation site. The investigation leads him to the disappearance of another Bengali worker, who was on good terms with the missing worker. As he retraces the steps of the missing worker, Lok gets a sensing of the plight of these workers as they happen to work for an unscrupulous employer.
- Peter Yu as Lok
- Luna Kwok as Mindy
- Liu Xiaoyi as Wang
- Jack Tan as Jason
- Ishtiaque Zico as Ajit
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 71%, based on 7 reviews. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 64 out of 100, based on 6 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Awards and nominations
|Award||Date of ceremony||Category||Recipient(s)||Result||Ref(s)|
|Asia Pacific Screen Awards||29th November 2018||Achievement in Cinematography||Hideho Urata||Won|||
|El Gouna Film Festival||28 September 2018||Feature Narrative Competition||Yeo Siew Hua||Won|||
|Five Flavours Asian Film Festival||21 November 2018||New Asian Cinema - Best Film||Yeo Siew Hua||Nominated|||
|Hamburg Film Festival||5th October 2018||Young Talent Award, Best Feature Film||Yeo Siew Hua||Nominated|||
|Locarno International Film Festival||11 Aug 2018||Golden Leopard||Yeo Siew Hua||Won|||
|Junior Jury Awardn - International Competition||Won|||
|Prize of the Ecumenical Jury - Special Mention||Won|||
|QCinema International Film Festival||30 October 2018||Best Picture - Asian Next Wave||Yeo Siew Hua||Won|||
|Singapore International Film Festival||8 December 2018||Best Asian Feature||Yeo Siew Hua||Won|||
|Valladolid International Film Festival||27 October 2018||Best Director of Photography||Hideho Urata||Won|||
|Golden Spike Award for Best Film||Yeo Siew Hua||Nominated|||
- Sarah Loh, Genevieve. "Why this Singapore film's historic win at one of the world's most important festivals matters". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved Nov 10, 2018.
- "A Land Imagined". Films de Force Majeure. Retrieved Nov 10, 2018.
- "A Land Imagined - Locarno Film Festival". Locarno Festival. Retrieved Nov 10, 2018.
- Lodge, Guy. "A Land Imagined,' 'BlacKkKlansman,' Women Directors Win at Locarno Fest". Variety. Retrieved Nov 10, 2018.
- "Yeo Siew Hua's A Land Imagined first local movie named Best Film at Silver Screen Awards". The Straits Times. 8 December 2018. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "A Land Imagined (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved March 20, 2019.
- "A Land Imagined Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "APSA 2018 Winners".
- "El Gouna Film Festival - A Land Imagined".
- "Five Flavours Asian Film Festival - A Land Imagined".
- "Hamburg Film Festival - A Land Imagined".
- "A Land Imagined - Awards".