A Lost Paradise
First edition (1997)
|Original title||失楽園 (Shitsurakuen?)|
|Translator||Juliet Winters Carpenter|
Published in English
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
A Lost Paradise (失楽園 Shitsurakuen?) is 1997 novel by Japanese author Junichi Watanabe. It tells the story of a 54-year-old married former magazine editor, his affair with a 37-year-old married typesetter and their double-suicide. The couple, Kūki and Rinko, are modeled after the famous case of Sada Abe.
The book became a bestseller throughout Asia, selling 3 million copies in Japan. Shitsurakuen became a slang word for having an affair. It was first serialized in the business newspaper Nihon Keizai Shimbun in 1995. The book was made into a film and a TV drama the same year. The film Lost Paradise was nominated for 13 Japan Academy Prizes winning one with Hitomi Kuroki for lead actress.
- Hall-Balduf, Susan (25 August 2000). "Review". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- West, Mark D. (2006). Secrets, sex, and spectacle: the rules of scandal in Japan and the United States. University of Chicago Press. p. 272. ISBN 0-226-89408-8. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- Marran, Christine L. (2007). Poison woman: figuring female transgression in modern Japanese culture. U of Minnesota Press. pp. 161–163. ISBN 0-8166-4727-5. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- "The husband instruction manual". China Daily / eastday.com. 2004-06-07. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- Osedo, Hiroshi (2 February 2005). "Lust and seduction top stock news". The Courier-Mail. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
..Shitsurakuen (A Lost Paradise) appeared in...
- Yao, Minji (28 June 2008). "The master of secret sin". Shanghai Daily. Archived from the original on 20 June 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- 第21回 日本アカデミー賞. Japan Academy Prize website (in Japanese). Japan Academy Prize Association. Archived from the original on 28 April 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
|This article about a 1990s novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See guidelines for writing about novels. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.