A Lover's Discourse: Fragments
Cover of the first edition
|Original title||Fragments d’un discours amoureux|
A Lover's Discourse: Fragments (French: Fragments d’un discours amoureux) is a 1977 book by Roland Barthes. It contains a list of "fragments", some of which come from literature and some from his own philosophical thought, of a lover's point of view. Barthes calls them "figures"—gestures of the lover at work.
The book was adapted into a Hong Kong movie in Cantonese by directors Derek Tsang and Jimmy Wan called Lover's Discourse (戀人絮語, 2010). The film consisted of four interconnected stories about love and lovers. The ensemble cast of the film includes Eason Chan, Karena Lam, Kay Tse, Mavis Fan, Eddie Peng, Jacky Heung and Kit Chen.
- The lyrical themes on the British duo The Lover Speaks' 1986 eponymous debut album were based on ideas from A Lover's Discourse, with singer David Freeman describing the album as an attempt to produce a "musical cartoon of [Barthes'] book".
- A Lover's Discourse is mentioned in, and central to, the plot of Jeffrey Eugenides' novel The Marriage Plot (2011).
- Artist Tessa Boffin quoted sections of Barthes' text in a photo-essay titled A Lover's Distance.
- Clair Denis's 2017 film, Let the Sunshine In, is based on A Lover's Discourse.
- A Lover's Discourse: Fragments, translated from the French by Richard Howard, Hill and Wang, (1979), ISBN 0-374-52161-1
- Roland., Barthes (2010). A lover's discourse : fragments. Howard, Richard, 1929-, Koestenbaum, Wayne. (Pbk. ed.). New York, N.Y.: Hill and Wang. ISBN 978-0374532314. OCLC 655759551.
- "Lover's Discourse". www.fareastfilm.com. Retrieved 2018-01-17.[permanent dead link]
- "The Beauty of a Rom-Com - Los Angeles Review of Books". Los Angeles Review of Books. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- The Lover Speaks - Cherry Pop - CRPOP158 - 2015 - CD release liner notes
- Greenberg, Michael (2011-11-24). "The Mania of Love". The New York Review of Books. ISSN 0028-7504. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- Boffin, Tessa (1988). "The Blind Leading the Blind: Socialist-Feminism and Representation". Feminist Review (29): 158–161. doi:10.2307/1395161. JSTOR 1395161.
- Boffin, Tessa; Barthes, Roland (1987). "A Lover's Distance: Fragments: A Photoessay". Feminist Review (25): 99–107. doi:10.2307/1395041. ISSN 0141-7789. JSTOR 1395041.
- Duponchel, Marilou. "Quels films seront sélectionnés à Cannes ? Nos pronostics". Les Inrockuptibles. Retrieved 30 November 2019.