A Lullaby to the Sorrowful Mystery
This article needs a plot summary. (May 2018)
|A Lullaby to the Sorrowful Mystery|
Theatrical release poster
|Hele sa Hiwagang Hapis|
|Directed by||Lav Diaz|
|Written by||Lav Diaz|
John Lloyd Cruz|
|Edited by||Lav Diaz|
Sine Olivia Pilipinas
Akanga Film Productions
|Distributed by||Star Cinema|
|Box office||₱4 million|
A Lullaby to the Sorrowful Mystery (Filipino: Hele sa Hiwagang Hapis) is a 2016 historical fantasy drama film directed by Lav Diaz. It was selected to compete for the Golden Bear at the 66th Berlin International Film Festival. At the film festival, it won the Alfred Bauer Prize. The film was released on 26 March and was distributed by Star Cinema.
- John Lloyd Cruz as Isagani
- Piolo Pascual as Simoun / Crisostomo Ibarra
- Hazel Orencio as Gregoria 'Oryang' De Jesus
- Alessandra De Rossi as Ceasaria Belarmino
- Susan Africa as Aling Hule
- Joel Saracho as Mang Karyo
- Bernardo Bernardo as Lalake / Tikbalang
- Cherie Gil as Babae / Tikbalang
- Angel Aquino as Androgynous / Tikbalang
- Sid Lucero as Basilio
- Ely Buendia as Musikero
- Bart Guingona as Kapitan Heneral
- Menggie Cobarrubias as Padre Florentino
- Ronnie Lazaro as Sebastian Caneo
- Karenina Haniel as Aling Rosario
- Paul Jake Paule as Bangkero
The film received mixed reviews from critics, with criticism mostly directed towards its pacing and confusing narrative. Guy Lodge of Variety states in his review that "A major disappointment from a major filmmaker, Diaz's latest super-sized tapestry of historical fact, folklore and cine-poetry is typically ambitious in its expressionism—but sees the helmer venturing into the kind of declamatory, didactic rhetoric that his recent stunners Norte, the End of History and From What Is Before so elegantly avoided."
- "A Lullaby to the Sorrowful Mystery". Berlinale. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- "ABS-CBN 1Q 2016 Investor's Briefing Presentation Materials" (PDF). ABS-CBN. 12 May 2016. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- "Jan 11, 2016: Berlinale Competition 2016: Another nine films selected". Berlinale. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- "Berlin Film Festival Adds Nine Films to Competition Lineup". Variety. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- "Prizes of the International Jury". Berlinale. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- "Lav Diaz wins Silver Bear at Berlin Film Festival". Rappler. 21 February 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- "Hele sa Hiwagang Hapis to be shown in PH Cinemas". Rappler. Retrieved 26 March 2016.
- Romney, Jonathan (19 February 2016). "'A Lullaby To The Sorrowful Mystery': Berlin Review". Screen International. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- Lodge, Guy. "'A Lullaby to the Sorrowful Mystery' Review: No Lav for Diaz's Latest". Variety. Retrieved 22 March 2016.