A Madea Family Funeral
|A Madea Family Funeral|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Tyler Perry|
|Written by||Tyler Perry|
|Music by||Philip White|
|Edited by||Larry Sexton|
|March 1, 2019 (United States)|
|Box office||$74.8 million|
Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral is a 2019 American comedy film written, directed, and produced by Tyler Perry. It is the eleventh and final installment of the Madea film series, and stars Perry in several roles, including as the titular character, as well as Cassi Davis and Patrice Lovely. The plot follows Madea and her friends as they must set up an unexpected funeral during a family get-together in Georgia.
The film was released in the United States on March 1, 2019. The film received generally negative reviews from critics but grossed over $74 million worldwide.
The film opens with the children of Vianne and Anthony planning their surprise 40th wedding anniversary at their home. Madea, Joe, Brian, Aunt Bam, and Hattie travel to backwoods Georgia for the anniversary party. On the way, they deal with a manic, rude police officer. At last they get to their hotel--and catch Anthony in a sex act with Renee, Vianne's best friend. In the next room is Anthony's son A.J.--with Gia, his brother Jesse's fiancée. Anthony suffers a heart attack from his activity with Renee and is rushed to the hospital, where is pronounced dead. A.J. and Madea's group keep the exact cause of death from the rest of the family. Renee and A.J. blackmail each other to keep their secrets hidden, and A.J blames Renee for his father's affair and death.
Vianne asks Madea to plan Anthony's funeral and says she wants to have it in two days, which makes everyone suspicious. The undertaker at the funeral gives Madea, Bam, and Hattie a creepy vibe and informs them that Anthony died smiling and that the casket can't close because of Anthony's erection. At the funeral, numerous mistresses from Anthony's past show up, visibly upsetting Vianne, and the service lasts for hours until the casket abruptly opens (for the aforementioned reason). At the repass, A.J. drunkenly reveals Anthony and Renee's affair and Renee exposes A.J.’s affair with Gia, which makes his wife Carol, to whom A.J. had been disrespectful all weekend finally decide to leave him. A.J. and Jesse fight, and Vianne tearfully reveals that Anthony had been cheating for years and she only stayed with him to protect her family; but now she realizes it’s time to live for herself. The film ends with Vianne happily wishing the family luck as she leaves for Las Vegas with Roy (Mike Tyson).
- Tyler Perry as Mabel "Madea" Simmons, Joe, Brian, and Heathrow
- Cassi Davis as Aunt Bam
- Patrice Lovely as Hattie
- Mike Tyson as Roy
- Ciera Payton as Silvia, Anthony and Vianne's daughter
- KJ Smith as Carol, AJ's wife
- David Otunga as Will, Silvia's husband
- Rome Flynn as Jessie, Anthony and Vianne's youngest son
- Courtney Burrell as AJ, Anthony and Vianne's oldest son
- Jen Harper as Vianne, Anthony's wife
- Quin Walters as Renee, Anthony and Vianne's friend and the maid
- Christianee Porter as Ms. Shirleen
- Aeriél Miranda as Gia, Jessie's fiancée
- Joel Rush as Police Officer
- Derek Morgan as Anthony, Vianne's husband
- Tiffany Black as Anthony's Mistress
- Joanne the Scammer as herself
Lionsgate released a trailer for the film on October 31, 2018.
The film was released to Blu-Ray and DVD on June 4, 2019 by Lionsgate.
A Madea Family Funeral has grossed $73.3 million in the United States and Canada, and $1.5 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $74.8 million, against a production budget of $20 million.
In the United States and Canada, A Madea Family Funeral was released alongside Greta, and was projected to gross $18–20 million from 2,442 theaters in its opening weekend. It made $1.1 million from Thursday night previews, a record for the Madea films, as well as one of the highest of Perry's career. It went on to debut to $27.1 million, finishing second at the box office behind holdover How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World and marking the third-best opening of the series. In its second weekend the film dropped 53% to $12.5 million, finishing third behind newcomer Captain Marvel and How to Train Your Dragon, and then made $8.1 million in its third weekend, finishing fifth.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 12% based on 33 reviews, with an average rating of 3.73/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "A lackluster conclusion to Tyler Perry's long-running franchise, A Madea Family Funeral proves saying goodbye can be painful for all the wrong reasons." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 39 out of 100, based on 11 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A-" on an A+ to F scale, while those at PostTrak gave it a 4 out of 5 stars and a 67% "definite recommend".
For The A.V. Club, Ignatiy Vishnevetsky rated the film D+, summing up the film franchise by writing, "The films are inane, sloppy, tone-deaf, moralizing, and have no sense of quality control, but there’s nothing quite like them."
On Common Sense Media, it holds a 3/5 star rating, saying "Madea says goodbye in winning but dirty slapstick comedy", the website recommended it for ages 13+.
- Eisenberg, Eric (October 21, 2016). "The New Character Tyler Perry Plans To Bring To The Madea Franchise". CinemaBlend. Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- Busch, Anita (June 1, 2018). "'Madea Family Funeral' From Lionsgate Moves To 2019". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- "Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral (2019)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved May 17, 2019.
- Fuster, Jeremy (February 26, 2019). "'Will 'A Madea Family Funeral' Bury Tyler Perry's Franchise at the Box Office?". TheWrap. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (March 3, 2019). "'Dragon 3' Keeps The Fire Burning At No. 1 With $30M Second Weekend; 'Madea' Mints $27M". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 3, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (March 11, 2019). "'Captain Marvel' Tramples Internet Trolls & Skyrockets To $160M Opening". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (March 17, 2019). "'Captain Marvel' Rises To Second Best 2nd Weekend In March With $69M+ – Sunday AM Update". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved June 23, 2019.
- "Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved March 6, 2019.
- Vishnevetsky, Ignatiy (March 1, 2019). "Tyler Perry Gives a Schlocky, Sloopy Goodbye to Madea with a Family Funeral". Retrieved March 1, 2019.