A Madea Family Funeral
|A Madea Family Funeral|
|Directed by||Tyler Perry|
|Written by||Tyler Perry|
|Edited by||Larry Sexton|
|Music by||Philip White|
|March 1, 2019 (United States)|
|Box office||$75.8 million|
A Madea Family Funeral is a 2019 American comedy film written, directed, and produced by Tyler Perry. It is the eleventh installment of the Madea cinematic universe, and stars Perry in several roles, including as the titular character, as well as Cassi Davis and Patrice Lovely. The plot follows Madea and her friends as they must set up an unexpected funeral during a family get-together in Georgia.
The film was released in the United States on March 1, 2019. The film received generally mixed reviews from critics but grossed over $75 million worldwide. This is the last film from Tyler Perry to be released by Lionsgate, with Paramount Pictures and Netflix taking over distribution of future Perry films via his deal with ViacomCBS. Though A Madea Family Funeral was originally intended to be the final film in the series, a sequel, A Madea Homecoming is set to be released in 2022.
A.J. (Courtney Burrell), Jesse (Rome Flynn), and Silvia (Ciera Payton), the children of Vianne (Jen Harper) and Anthony (Derek Morgan), are planning a surprise party to celebrate their parents' 40th wedding anniversary. Madea (Tyler Perry), Joe (Tyler Perry), Brian (Tyler Perry), Aunt Bam (Cassi Davis), and Hattie (Patrice Lovely) travel to the backwoods of Georgia for the anniversary party. On the way, they deal with a manic, rude police officer (Joel Rush) which they are surprised when he acts nice all of a sudden.
At last, they get to their hotel--and catch Anthony in a sex act with Renee (Quin Walters), Vianne's best friend. In the next room is A.J. (Courtney Burrell)--with Gia (Aeriél Miranda), the fiancée of Jesse. Anthony suffers a heart attack from his activity with Renee and is rushed to the hospital, where he is pronounced dead.
A.J. and Madea's group keep the exact cause of death from the rest of the family. Renee and A.J. blackmail each other to keep their secrets hidden and A.J. blames Renee for his father's affair and death. But Renee responds saying "I’m not the one to be played with".
Vianne asks Madea to plan Anthony's funeral and says she wants to have it in two days, which makes everyone suspicious. The undertaker (Aryeh-Or) at the funeral gives Madea, Bam, and Hattie a creepy vibe and informs them that Anthony died smiling and that the casket can't close because of Anthony's erection. At the funeral, numerous mistresses from Anthony's past show up, visibly upsetting Vianne, and the service lasts for hours until the casket abruptly opens (for the aforementioned reason).
At the repast, A.J. drunkenly reveals Anthony and Renee's affair and Renee exposes A.J.'s affair with Gia, which makes his wife Carol (KJ Smith), to whom A.J. had been disrespectful all weekend finally decide to leave him. A.J. and Jesse fight, and Vianne tearfully reveals that Anthony had been cheating for years and she only stayed with him to protect her family. But now she realizes it’s time to live for herself. When A.J. scolds her for being weak, she retaliates by saying he's just a boy and spiteful to others making A.J. live up to what his actions to the people around him for the past week.
In the morning at the advice of Madea. A.J. tries to apologize and reconcile with Carol for all the pain he caused her hoping they get back together, only for her to decline and claiming she wants to live freely. Vianne happily wishes the family luck as she leaves for Las Vegas with Roy (Mike Tyson), revealing herself to be a cheater after all as she claims that Roy should've been their father. Madea, Bam, Hattie, and Carol then take their leave so that the A.J., Silvia, and Jesse can sort out their issues.
- Tyler Perry as:
- Mabel "Madea" Simmons, a tough elderly lady.
- Joe Simmons, the brother of Madea.
- Brian, the son of Joe and nephew of Madea who works as a lawyer.
- Heathrow, the brother of Madea who is a war hero.
- Cassi Davis as Betty Ann "Aunt Bam" Murphy, the cousin of Madea.
- Patrice Lovely as Hattie Mae Love, a friend of Madea and Bam.
- Jen Harper as Vianne, Anthony's wife and Madea's granddaughter.
- Derek Morgan as Anthony, Vianne's husband.
- Courtney Burrell as AJ, Anthony and Vianne's oldest son.
- Ciera Payton as Silvia, Anthony and Vianne's daughter.
- Rome Flynn as Jesse, Anthony and Vianne's youngest son.
- KJ Smith as Carol, AJ's wife.
- Aeriél Miranda as Gia, Jesse's fiancée.
- David Otunga as Will, Silvia's husband.
- Quin Walters as Renee, Anthony and Vianne's friend and Anthony's mistress.
- Christianee Porter as Ms. Shirleen
- Joel Rush as Officer Edward "Eddie" Willis, a police officer that pulls over the car that Madea, Joe, Brian, Bam, and Hattie ride in. Rush reprises his character from "If Loving You Is Wrong".
- Mike Tyson as Roy, a man who Vianne was secretly having an affair with.
- Aryeh-Or as Undertaker
- Darryl W. Handy as Reverend
- Branden Miller as Joanne the Scammer
- Tiffany Black as Anthony's Mistress
Filming took place at Tyler Perry Studios in Atlanta for one week in March 2017 before filming Boo 2! A Madea Halloween, given that this film was released two years after that film.. In this movie Tyler Perry plays a new character named Heathrow, Madea and Joe's brother, a Vietnam War veteran.
Lionsgate released a trailer for the film on October 31, 2018.
The film was released to Blu-ray and DVD on June 4, 2019 by Lionsgate.
A Madea Family Funeral has grossed $73.3 million in the United States and Canada, and $1.5 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $74.8 million, against a production budget of $20 million.
In the United States and Canada, A Madea Family Funeral was released alongside Greta, and was projected to gross $18–20 million from 2,442 theaters in its opening weekend. It made $1.1 million from Thursday night previews, a record for the Madea films, as well as one of the highest of Perry's career. It went on to debut to $27.1 million, finishing second at the box office behind holdover How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World and marking the third-best opening of the series. In its second weekend the film dropped 53% to $12.5 million, finishing third behind newcomer Captain Marvel and How to Train Your Dragon, and then made $8.1 million in its third weekend, finishing fifth.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 12% based on 33 reviews, with an average rating of 6.73/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "A lackluster conclusion to Tyler Perry's long-running franchise, A Madea Family Funeral proves saying goodbye can be painful for all the wrong reasons." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 39 out of 100, based on 11 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A−" on an A+ to F scale, while those at PostTrak gave it a 4 out of 5 stars and a 67% "definite recommend".
For The A.V. Club, Ignatiy Vishnevetsky rated the film D+, summing up the film franchise by writing, "The films are inane, sloppy, tone-deaf, moralizing, and have no sense of quality control, but there’s nothing quite like them."
|Award||Date of ceremony||Category||Recipient(s)||Result|
|Golden Raspberry Awards||March 16, 2020||Worst Picture||Ozzie Areu, Will Areu & Mark E. Swinton||Nominated|
|Worst Actress||Tyler Perry||Nominated|
|Worst Supporting Actor||Tyler Perry*||Nominated|
|Worst Supporting Actress||Cassi Davis||Nominated|
|Worst Screen Combo||Tyler Perry & Tyler Perry (or Tyler Perry)||Nominated|
|Worst Screenplay||Tyler Perry||Nominated|
|Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel||Nominated|
* - Perry was nominated twice for Worst Supporting Actor, one each for his roles as Joe and Uncle Heathrow, respectively.
- "Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral (2019) - Financial Information". The Numbers.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (June 8, 2021). "Tyler Perry Brings Madea Out Of Retirement For New Netflix Movie". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 8, 2021.
- Eisenberg, Eric (October 21, 2016). "The New Character Tyler Perry Plans To Bring To The Madea Franchise". CinemaBlend. Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- Busch, Anita (June 1, 2018). "'Madea Family Funeral' From Lionsgate Moves To 2019". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- "Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral (2019)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved May 17, 2019.
- Fuster, Jeremy (February 26, 2019). "'Will 'A Madea Family Funeral' Bury Tyler Perry's Franchise at the Box Office?". TheWrap. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (March 3, 2019). "'Dragon 3' Keeps The Fire Burning At No. 1 With $30M Second Weekend; 'Madea' Mints $27M". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 3, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (March 11, 2019). "'Captain Marvel' Tramples Internet Trolls & Skyrockets To $160M Opening". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (March 17, 2019). "'Captain Marvel' Rises To Second Best 2nd Weekend In March With $69M+ – Sunday AM Update". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved June 23, 2019.
- "Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved March 6, 2019.
- Vishnevetsky, Ignatiy (March 1, 2019). "Tyler Perry Gives a Schlocky, Sloopy Goodbye to Madea with a Family Funeral". The A.V. Club. Retrieved March 1, 2019.
- "RAZZ NEWZ - The Razzies!". razzies.com.