A Man Called Ove (novel)
First US edition
|Original title||En man som heter Ove|
|Publisher||Washington Square Press (US)|
|Pages||368 pp (US)|
347 pp (SWE)
A Man Called Ove (original title in Swedish: En man som heter Ove) is a 2012 novel by Fredrik Backman, a Swedish columnist, blogger and writer. It was published in English in 2013. The English version reached the New York Times Best Seller list 18 months after it was published and stayed on the list for 42 weeks.
In January 2015 a stage version of the book, with Johan Rheborg in the leading role as Ove, had its premiere in Stockholm. In addition, it was adapted as a film of the same name, which was premiered on 25 December 2015, with Rolf Lassgård in the leading role.
"Ove is a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbour from hell.” However, behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heart-warming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations."
- Ove — A grumpy, 59-year-old man who has recently been forced to retire
- Sonja — Ove's deceased wife
- Parvaneh — Ove's neighbour, a pregnant woman of Iranian descent, a mother of two
- Patrick — Parvaneh's husband
- Rune — Ove's former friend who has become a nemesis and neighbour, now has Alzheimer's.
- Anita — Rune's wife
- Adrian — The neighbourhood mailman
- Jimmy — The overweight neighbour
Film and TV adaptations
- "LIBRIS - En man som heter Ove /". Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- Alter, Alexandra (2016-10-28). "The Man Behind 'A Man Called Ove,' Sweden's Latest Hit Novel". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
- "TeaterStockholm.se » Din guide i teaterdjungeln". Archived from the original on 21 October 2015. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- "En man som heter Ove (2015)". MovieZine. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- "A Man Called Ove". Simon & Schuster. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- Backman, Fredrik; Newbern, George (2014-07-29). A Man Called Ove (MP3 Una ed.). Dreamscape Media. ISBN 9781629239842. ASIN 1629239844.