A Manual Dexterity: Soundtrack Volume One
|A Manual Dexterity: Soundtrack Volume One|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||August 31, 2004|
|Recorded||2001 and some in 2004|
|Genre||Progressive rock |
|Label||Gold Standard Laboratories|
|Omar Rodríguez-López solo chronology|
|Omar Rodríguez-López chronology|
|Pitchfork Media||(7.5/10) link|
A Manual Dexterity: Soundtrack Volume One, the solo debut from The Mars Volta guitarist Omar Rodríguez-López, was recorded in 2001 after the breakup of former band At the Drive-In and released in 2004. This was supposed to be the first volume of a two-part soundtrack set to go along to a film directed by Rodriguez-Lopez.
The release of Volume Two, which was originally planned for Spring of 2005, and the film itself were both delayed indefinitely due to legal problems. Conflicts over ownership of certain footage and Rodríguez-López's reluctance to revisit the project, which featured his late friend Jeremy Michael Ward in the lead role, were both cited as reasons for the delay. However, Rodríguez-López stated that he does intend to release both Volume Two and the film at some point in the future.
"Deus Ex Machina" is a version of a song "Reina de Mi Vida", written by Omar's father Angel Marcelo Rodriguez (also known as Marcelo Rod-Che) for the famous Puerto Rican salsa orchestra El Gran Combo de Puerto Rico; here, it is performed by Angel Marcelo himself.
- "Around Knuckle White Tile" – 7:16
- "Dyna Sark Arches" – 4:38
- "Here the Tame Go By" – 5:11
- "Deus Ex Machina" – 5:03
- "Dramatic Theme" – 7:16
- "A Dressing Failure" – 2:54
- "Sensory Decay Part II" – 6:04
- "Of Blood Blue Blisters" – 4:53
- "Dream Sequence" – 6:11
- "The Palpitations Form a Limit" – 3:22
- Omar Rodríguez-López – Guitars, Bass, Percussion, Hand claps, Roland Promars, SH-1000, SH-101, SH-7, SH-2000, VP-330, Korg MS-2000, Microkorg, organ, drum machines, Pianette, piano, Yamaha QY-100, Rhythm sequence, samples, TVs, telephone, typewriter, breathing
- Blake Fleming – Drums (1, 2, 5, 8, 10), Hand claps (2)
- Jeremy Michael Ward – Melodica (2), Guitar pedals (5), Yelling (8)
- John Frusciante – Mini moog (2, 3), A 100 (3), Guitars (5, 10)
- Cedric Bixler-Zavala – Percussion & Hand claps (2), Vocals & Lyrics (10)
- Angel Marcelo Rodriguez – Vocals & Lyrics (4)
- David Lopez – Trumpet (4)
- Cecilio Ortiz – Guitar (4)
- Alberto El Professor Aragonez – Percussion (4)
- Isaiah Ikey Owens – Piano (8)
- Andrew Scheps – Trumpet (8)
- Sara Christina Gross – Saxophone (9)
- "Manual Dexterity" was also the name of a song that appeared on Omar's former band De Facto's second album "Megaton Shotblast!"
- "www.themarsvoltaitalia.com – SITO ITALIANO NON UFFICIALE DEDICATO AI THE MARS VOLTA". Archived from the original on 2011-03-04. Retrieved 2007-11-22.