A Million Voices
For Polina Gagarina 2015 Eurovision song, see A Million Voices (song).
|Type||Non-profit charity organisation|
A Million Voices (AMV) is a non-profit charity organisation based in Arendal, Norway, but operating in Manila, Philippines. The organisation, founded in December 2007 by then 21-year-old student Charlotte Isabel Johansen, is a non-governmental organisation (NGO), and receives no subsidies from any governments or political parties. It is dependent on donations from individuals and businesses, and the help of volunteers for its projects.
Goals and vision
A Million Voices' vision is "Giving a Voice to the Millions Silenced by Poverty". More concise, the organisation focuses on helping children from poor families, or homeless children in Manila. Instead of giving away money, the organisation hands out food, school supplies, clothes, health care and dental care. AMV offers a scholarship program, where donors fund one year of school for a child - which includes everything a child would need for the year. Other projects aims at self-help by teaching people a livelihood, in which they can support their families without relying on charity.
AMV is collaborating with the Vizcarra Medical Clinic, Manila, for providing medical and dental services to AMVs beneficiaries.
For many of AMVs projects it collaborates with Volunteer Professionals (VP) also situated in Manila. VP provides the AMV beneficiaries with teaching and livelihood training.
At 26th of January 2012 A Million Voices signed a Memorandum of Agreement with the Philippine Normal University through the Center for Teaching and Learning (PNU-CTL). This agreement ensure a 3-year collaboration to promote academical growth of the beneficiaries of the foundations projects.
AMV in the media
- In January 2009 Civil Military Operations Battalion wrote an article in their newsletter Balitaan Sa Barangay about AMV where AMV received a plaque of appreciation.
- 28 December 2009, the Norwegian Newspaper Agderposten wrote an article about AMV Christmas party held at 12th of December 2009 for 54 children and their families in Manila.
- At 15 June 2011, Agderposten wrote an article about AMVs founder, Charlotte Isabel Johansen, and other AMV volunteers working at the Norwegian music festival Hove Festival to raise money for the projects in Manila.
- A Million Voices website. "A Million Voices - Background", Retrieved on 2 March 2012.
- A Million Voices website. "A Million Voices - Vision and Mission", Retrieved on 2 March 2012.
- A Million Voices website. "A Million Voices - Livelihood", Retrieved on 2 March 2012.
- Philippine Normal University. "PNU inks agreement with A Million Voices", Manila, 7 February 2012. Retrieved on 2 March 2012.
- Civil Military Operations Battalion newsletter Balitaan Sa Barangay. "A MILLION VOICES, KATUWANG NG CMO BN", Page 4, Manila, January 2009, Retrieved on 2 March 2012.
- Julefest i Manilaslummen. "Julefest i Manilaslummen", Arendal, 28 December 2009, Retrieved on 2 March 2012.
- Gir Hove-penger til slumboere. "Gir Hove-penger til slumboere", Arendal, 15 June 2011, Retrieved on 2 March 2012.