A Millionaire's First Love
|A Millionaire's First Love|
|Revised Romanization||Baekmanjangjaui cheot-sarang|
|Directed by||Kim Tae-kyun|
|Produced by||Lee Joo-ick|
|Written by||Kim Eun-sook|
|Music by||Kim Tae-seong|
|Edited by||Ko Im-pyo|
|Distributed by||Lotte Entertainment|
A Millionaire's First Love (Hangul: 백만장자의 첫사랑; RR: Baekmanjangja-ui cheot-sarang) is a 2006 South Korean romance film directed by Kim Tae-kyun, starring Hyun Bin and Lee Yeon-hee. The theme of the film is "Nothing is more important than the true love of your heart." It was released in South Korean cinemas on February 9, 2006, and recorded 639,596 admissions during its run.
Kang Jae-kyung (Hyun Bin) is your typical rich kid. He is arrogant, drives sporty cars, attends the big clubs and rides through school corridors on his motorcycle. As his 18th birthday approaches, he is set to inherit his grandfather's fortune, but first Jae-kyung is required to transfer to a new school in Gangwon Province and graduate. Until then all access to his penthouse, cottage and credit cards are denied. Should he fail to graduate or drops out then he loses everything. If he wishes to give up, he will only receive 0.1% of his over-all inheritance. With this in mind, he heads out to the countryside, to a small town in which daily life is far removed from what he is used to.
Shortly after settling into his new home, he meets 19-year-old Choi Eun-hwan (Lee Yeon-hee), who happened to run into him back in Seoul. They don’t exactly hit it off; he’s far too stubborn and cool for school. Conversely, she sees hope for him and sets out to make him see it for himself. They eventually draw closer, thanks to a set of coincidences and school projects. Jae-kyung learns of Eun-hwan's terminal disease and does what he can to make her happy. He even tells his lawyer that he would give up his inheritance so he could buy an orphanage for her.
One day during the rehearsal of a play at school, Jae-kyung notices that the play is resembles the incident that had happened in his life. He recalls a childhood memory of being at the orphanage at Gangwon, where he had met Eun-hwan and had made a promise to return in ten days. He finds Eun-hwan and tells her that he did not remember her or his promise because his parents had died in a car accident on that same day and his memories were thus erased. He tells her he loves her and they kiss.
The day of the play comes and Jae-kyung asks his classmate to trade places as a favor; him as the Colonel rather than the maid. He goes to Eun-hwan's side and she asks him if he could put on the socks he bought her earlier. While they are dancing, she feels a sudden pain and goes backstage much to Jae-kyung's worry. However, she returns. Eun-hwan's mother has also come to see the show.
Later, they celebrate the success of the play. The couple sit on a swing, Eun-hwan tells Jae-kyung "I love you" and that she's sleepy. Before falling asleep, she tells Jae-kyung to wake her up after 3 minutes. Soon after, the first snow comes.
On their graduation day, Eun-hwan receives the Award of Friendship but does not attend the ceremony as she never woke up. A bouquet of white flowers sits in her seat instead, next to Jae-kyung's chair. He stays for a while and walks outside carrying the flowers. His grandfather's lawyer comes, congratulates him and tells him that the inheritance is now his.
Later, Jae-kyung builds a house with numerous windows in memory of Eun-hwan. He states that after 50 first snows hit its windows, they will meet again.
- Hyun Bin as Kang Jae-kyung
- Lee Yeon-hee as Choi Eun-hwan
- Yong-Joon Cho as Goo-Ho
- Do-hyeon Lee as
- Han-sol Lee as Myungshik
- Lim Ju-hwan as Seung-joon
- Hak-yeong Ye as
- Insa (Farewell) - Jaejoong from TVXQ
- 거친 나의 나날들
- Gray Noise - Yeongene
- 기억을 따라가는 재경 (Memories Follow Jae-kyung)
- 털양말 (Feather Socks)
- 피리부는 소녀 (Flute Girl)
- Dialogue 1
- 우리 은환이 좀 살려주세요 (Please Let Eun-hwan Live)
- Dialogue 2
- 이제 너 많이 힘들어 지겠다 (It Will Be Really Hard for You Now)
- Dialogue 3
- 들판을 거닐며
- Insa (Inst.)
- Dialogue 4
- Insa - Lee Yeon-hee
- Dialogue 5
- 첫눈 (First Snow)
- Insa - TVXQ
- Dialogue 6
- Lee, Seung-jae (9 February 2006). "Kim Tae-gyun's Movies Have Teen Appeal". The Dong-a Ilbo. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- "TV Heartthrob Hyun Bin Makes Move to the Big Screen". The Chosun Ilbo. 16 February 2006. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- "Korean Movie Synopsis: A Millionaire's First Love". Korea Tourism Organization. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- "Commercial Releases in 2006: Box-Office Admission Results". Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- Yang, Sung-jin (9 February 2006). "A Millionaire's First Love offers melodrama for Valentine's Day couples". The Korea Herald via Hancinema. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- Park, Soo-mee (7 June 2006). "If you’re rich, you can have stale plots". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- "A Millionaire's First Love Sold to Japan". Koreacontent.org via Hancinema. 20 February 2006. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- "Actor Hyun Bin Becomes Top Hallyu Star in Japan". KBS Global. 2 March 2006. Retrieved 23 December 2014.