A Muppet Family Christmas
|A Muppet Family Christmas|
|Written by||Jerry Juhl|
|Directed by||Peter Harris, Eric Till|
|Country of origin||US and Canada|
|Executive producer(s)||Jim Henson|
|Producer(s)||Martin G. Baker, Diana Birkenfield|
|Running time||52 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Henson Associates|
|Distributor||Buena Vista Television|
|Original release||December 16, 1987|
This is one of the very few Muppet productions to feature Muppets associated with all four of the major Muppet franchises as a crossover: The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock and Muppet Babies (who are seen as actual puppets here instead of animated counterparts). This special also features an onscreen guest cameo by Jim Henson; he can be seen in the kitchen doing dishes towards the end of the special. In addition the United Kingdom broadcast marked the first appearance of Doc on British television, as the UK version of Fraggle Rock featured new "Outer Space" segments, in which Sprocket's owner was a lighthouse keeper.
Fozzie Bear is driving many of the Muppets to his mother Emily's farm for Christmas. Unbeknownst to Fozzie Bear, Emily Bear is preparing to go to Malibu for the holiday and rent her farmhouse to Doc and Sprocket. Doc and Sprocket have arrived when Fozzie Bear and the other Muppets enter, disrupting Emily and Doc's plans for the holidays.
More Muppets arrive, and they begin to prepare for Christmas. After the performance, Fozzie goes into the house where he tells Kermit about his new act. During Fozzie's description, Kermit answers the phone where Miss Piggy tells Kermit that she is doing a little Christmas shopping before she goes to the farm house.
A group of carolers arrives, proving to be Big Bird and the rest of the Sesame Street Muppets. All of the Muppets continue to prepare for Christmas as the news comes on TV that the worst blizzard in 50 years is approaching the area. Kermit realizes that Miss Piggy is out in the storm.
Fozzie Bear and Emily go over where everyone is going to sleep. The Sesame Street Muppets perform a pageant of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas. Kermit gets a call from Miss Piggy stating that her limo got stuck in the snow and that she is calling for a taxi. Fozzie approaches Kermit stating that now is a good time to show him his new comedy act with the Snowman. While Doc is looking for Miss Piggy, Kermit is called to the basement, where he and Robin find a Fraggle Hole and the Fraggles.
Finally, all of the Muppets sing carols and exchange gifts.
- "We Need a Little Christmas"
- "Jingle Bells"
- "Jingle Bell Rock"
- "Sleigh Ride"
- "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"
- "Here We Come A-Caroling"
- "Deck the Halls"
- "The Christmas Song"
- "Pass It On" from Fraggle Rock
- "Home for the Holidays"
- Carol Sing Medley
- "Happy Holidays"
- "Ding Dong Merrily on High"
- "I Saw Three Ships"
- "Good King Wenceslas"
- "The Holly and the Ivy"
- "I'll Be Home for Christmas"
- "Happy Holidays" (reprise)
- "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"
- "Caroling, Caroling"
- "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"
- "It's in Every One of Us" from John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together
- "Together at Christmas (Old Friends, New Friends)" from The Christmas Toy
- "We Wish You a Merry Christmas"
- Jim Henson as Kermit the Frog, Rowlf the Dog, Dr. Teeth, Swedish Chef, Waldorf, The Muppet Newsman, Baby Kermit, Baby Rowlf, Ernie, Guy Smiley
- Frank Oz as Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal, Sam Eagle, Bert, Grover, Cookie Monster, Baby Piggy, Baby Fozzie, Baby Animal
- Jerry Nelson as Robin the Frog, Emily Bear, Gobo Fraggle, Sgt. Floyd Pepper, Count von Count, Camilla the Chicken, Herry Monster, Two-Headed Monster (Left Head)
- Richard Hunt as Scooter, Baby Scooter, Janice, Statler, Beaker, Kathleen the Cow, Two-Headed Monster (Right Head), Snowman
- Dave Goelz as Gonzo the Great, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Boober Fraggle, Zoot, Beauregard, Baby Gonzo
- Steve Whitmire as Rizzo the Rat, Lips, Christmas Turkey, Wembley Fraggle, Sprocket the Dog
- Caroll Spinney as Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch
- Kathryn Mullen as Mokey Fraggle
- Karen Prell as Red Fraggle, Maureen the Mink
- David Rudman as Miss Piggy's Photographer (voice)
Scenes omitted in North American DVD and VHS release
- The original opening title (superimposed over a shot of Emily Bear's house).
- The snowman and Fozzie joke and sing the song "Sleigh Ride" when hearing Rowlf inside playing the piano.
- The home movie featuring Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo and Scooter as babies singing "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" with baby Rowlf playing a toy piano.
- The Muppets sing "Home for the Holidays," after Miss Piggy's grand belated arrival, then later "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" during the final medley.
- A brief shot of Fozzie Bear and Elmo lighting a Christmas tree.
- Fozzie tells his mother, Emily Bear, that he is too old to have a stocking hung for him, then changes his mind.