A Night to Remember (1942 film)
|A Night to Remember|
|Directed by||Richard Wallace|
|Produced by||Samuel Bischoff|
|Screenplay by||Richard Fluornoy
|Based on||The Frightened Stiff
by Kelley Roos
|Music by||Werner R. Heymann|
|Edited by||Charles Nelson|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
A Night to Remember is a mystery comedy film starring Loretta Young and Brian Aherne. It was directed by Richard Wallace, and is based on the novel The Frightened Stiff by Kelley Roos. A mystery writer and his wife try to solve a murder when a corpse appears in their Gay Street apartment.
Nancy (Loretta Young) and Jeff Troy (Brian Aherne) move into a somber-looking basement apartment building on 13 Gay Street, Greenwich Village, where the residents all act very strangely. Nancy recognizes one of the residents, Anne Carstairs, who acts very odd and not at all the way Nancy remembers her. At dinner, Nancy overhears a man, later identified as Louis Kaufman, talking on the telephone telling someone to meet him in the basement apartment. Louis goes to the basement apartment and is later found dead in the backyard, after having been drowned in the apartment's bathtub.
Jeff recognizes the basement apartment as a former speakeasy and that the "monster" the housekeeper was afraid of is a turtle called "Old Hickory". Jeff and Nancy figure out that all the residents were being blackmailed by a man named Andrew Bruhl, who used to be a private investigator. Bruhl made all the people being blackmailed live in one building to keep an eye on them.
Jeff and Nancy figure out that Bruhl killed Kaufman, and that Bruhl is someone who lives in the building. The suspects are: Anne Carstairs; her husband, Scott Carstairs; Eddie Turner, the landlord; Polly Franklin, who works at a local restaurant; Lingle, another resident; and the housekeeper, Mrs. Salter.
- Loretta Young as Nancy Troy
- Brian Aherne as Jeff Troy
- Jeff Donnell as Anne Carstairs
- William Wright as Scott Carstairs
- Sidney Toler as Inspector Hankins
- Gale Sondergaard as Mrs. Devoe
- Donald MacBride as Bolling
- Lee Patrick as Polly Franklin
- Blanche Yurka as Mrs. Salter
- Don Costello as Eddie Turner
- Richard Gaines as Lingle
- A Night to Remember at the American Film Institute Catalog
- A Night to Remember at the TCM Movie Database
- A Night to Remember at the Internet Movie Database
- A Night to Remember at AllMovie