A Queer History of the United States
|Subject||LGBT history in the United States|
|Published||May 10, 2011 (Beacon Press)|
|Awards||Israel Fishman Non-Fiction Award|
|LC Class||HQ76.3.U5 B696 2011|
A Queer History of the United States is a concise history of LGBT people in US society. It describes ways in which queer people have influenced the evolution of the United States, and how the culture of the United States has affected them.
A Queer History of the United States was published by Beacon Press in 2011. It was recognized with a Stonewall Book Award in 2012. The author, Michael Bronski, is a professor of Women's & Gender Studies at Dartmouth College, and professor of Practice in Media and Activism in Studies of Women, Gender, and Sexuality at Harvard University.
- The Persecuting Society
- Sexually Ambiguous Revolutions
- Imagining a Queer America
- A Democracy of Death and Art
- A Dangerous Purity
- Life on the Stage, Life in the City
- Production and Marketing of Gender
- Sex in the Trenches
- Visible Communities, Invisible Lives
- Revolt, Backlash, Resistance
- Gay American History: Lesbians and Gay Men in the U.S.A. (1976)
- Transgender History (2008)
- LGBT history in the United States
- History of the United States
- 2011 in literature
- "Stonewall Book Awards List § 2012". ALA.org. American Library Association. Retrieved 2017-03-22.
- Hari, Johann (May 23, 2011). "How Gays Helped Make and Remake America". Slate. Retrieved 2016-06-22.
- Liebetrau, Eric (May 17, 2011). "Reassessing 500 years of American history: A scholarly look at the LGBT experience". Boston.com. Retrieved 2016-06-22.
- Barber, Bonnie (February 23, 2012). "Professor Michael Bronski Wins Prestigious Stonewall Book Award". Dartmouth Now. Dartmouth College. Retrieved 2016-06-22.
- "Michael Bronski". Studies of Women, Gender, and Sexuality. Harvard University. Retrieved 2016-06-22.
- Wexelbaum, Rachel (June 20, 2011). "'A Queer History of the United States' by Michael Bronski and 'Queer America: A People's LGBT History of the United States' by Vicki L. Eaklor". Lambda Literary Foundation. Retrieved 2016-06-22.
- Ireland, Doug (October 13, 2011). "Michael Bronski's A Queer History of the United States — review". Doug Ireland. Retrieved 2016-06-22.
- Reed, Jennifer (February 2012). "A Queer History of the United States, by Michael Bronski" (PDF). The History Teacher. The Society for History Education. 45 (2): 297–98. ISSN 0018-2745. Retrieved 2016-06-22.