A Sailor Went to Sea
"A Sailor Went to Sea" is a children's nursery rhyme, clapping game and jump-rope rhyme. It was initially called 'My Father Went to Sea', before becoming more widely known as 'A Sailor Went to Sea'. It is typically sung to the tune of The Sailor's Hornpipe.
- A sailor went to sea, sea, sea
- To see what he could see, see, see
- But all that he could see, see, see
- Was the bottom of the deep blue sea, sea, sea.
In popular culture
- The song was parodied in an episode of VeggieTales as "Some Veggies Went To Sea".
- The song appeared in "Gloriana", episode 10, season 1 of the Netflix drama The Crown.
And other uses.
- The British Library. "Clapping games - A sailor went to sea, sea, sea". Playtimes. The British Library. Retrieved 5 August 2011.
- Curtis, Mavis (2004). "A sailor went to sea: theme and variations". Folk Music Journal. 8 (4): 421–437. JSTOR 4522717.
- Opie, Iona Archibald (1985). The Singing Game. Oxford University Press. pp. 467–468.
|This song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|