A Scarcity of Miracles
|A Scarcity of Miracles|
|Studio album by Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins|
|Released||May 30, 2011|
|Label||Discipline Global Mobile|
|Producer||Robert Fripp, Jakko Jakszyk|
|All About Jazz||positive|
A Scarcity of Miracles is an album by Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins. It united former King Crimson musicians Robert Fripp and Mel Collins with singer-songwriter and guitarist Jakko Jakszyk (who previously fronted, sang for and played guitar in 21st Century Schizoid Band, a project set up to reunite King Crimson members from the 1960s and 1970s lineups of the band and to play the band's music from that period; he later became a full member of the band).
The basis for the album came from guitar improvisations recorded by Jakszyk and Fripp in Wiltshire, England with no particular intention of recording an album. With Fripp's agreement, Jakszyk took the resulting recordings and reworked them as songs. Collins (a frequent Jakszyk collaborator) subsequently "heard unplayed sax waiting to be given voice" and joined the developing project. With the majority of music now recast as songs, an album took shape. Two other ongoing King Crimson members - bass guitar/Chapman Stick player Tony Levin and drummer Gavin Harrison - subsequently recorded the rhythm tracks.
A Scarcity of Miracles was released with the subtitle of "A King Crimson ProjeKct". This in turn led to speculation that it might be the basis of the next lineup of King Crimson (the main band itself having been on hiatus since 2008, and having used the ProjeKcts as research and development work since 1999). Fripp himself gently denied and clarified this at the time by describing the record as "one of my favourite albums of those where I am a determining element. It has the Crimson gene, but it is not quite KC." However, a new line-up of King Crimson was announced in September 2013 including everyone involved in the album.
- "A Scarcity of Miracles" (7:27)
- "The Price We Pay" (4:49)
- "Secrets" (7:48)
- "This House" (8:37)
- "The Other Man" (5:59)
- "The Light of Day" (9:02)
- Jakko Jakszyk – guitars, vocals, guzheng, keyboards
- Robert Fripp – guitars, soundscapes
- Mel Collins – alto and soprano saxophones, flute
- Additional personnel
- Kelman, John (27 May 2011). "Jakszyk, Fripp & Collins: A Scarcity of Miracles". allaboutjazz.com. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- Kozar, Ron (23 March 2012). "Robert Fripp: An Appreciation | PopMatters". popmatters.com. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- Sleevenotes from A Scarcity of Miracles, Panegyric 2011
- Burning Shed page for A Scarcity of Miracles