A Shot in the Dark (1935 film)
|A Shot in the Dark|
|Directed by||Charles Lamont|
|Produced by||George R. Batcheller (producer)|
|Written by||Charles Belden (screenplay)|
|Based on||novel The Dartmouth Murders by Clifford Orr|
|Music by||Abe Meyer|
|Edited by||Roland D. Reed|
|Distributed by||Chesterfield Pictures|
A college student (Charles Starrett) discovers his roommate’s body hanging from a window and calls the police. What at first looks like suicide turns out to be murder. While a police investigation is ongoing, more students are killed.
- Charles Starrett as Kenneth "Ken" Harris
- Robert Warwick as Joseph Harris
- Edward Van Sloan as Prof. Bostwick
- Marion Shilling as Jean Coates
- Helen Jerome Eddy as Miss Lottie Case
- Doris Lloyd as Lucille Coates
- James Bush as Byron Coates / John Meseraux
- Julian Madison as Charlie Penlon
- Eddie Tamblyn as Bill Smart
- Ralph Brooks as Sam Anderson
- Robert McKenzie as Sheriff
- John Davidson as Prof. Brand
- Herbert Bunston as College President
- George Morrell as Deputy Ab Barber
- Broderick O'Farrell as Dr. Howell
- Jane Keckley as Bostwick's Housekeeper
The New York Times wrote, "A Shot in the Dark, which pictures a trilogy of murders on a rural college campus, telegraphs its punches in a way that may seem insignificant to Chesterfield Productions, Inc., but is as good as a confession to us amateur gumshoes...a decided absence of liveliness both in the writing and the playing"; whereas Fantastic Movie Musings and Ramblings noted, "a very good mystery...It does have some problems, particularly in having a rather stiff and static presentation, but outside of that, this is one of the more pleasant discoveries I've made."
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2010)
- "A Shot in the Dark (1935) - Trailers, Reviews, Synopsis, Showtimes and Cast - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "Movie Review - A Shot in the Dark - THE SCREEN - NYTimes.com". nytimes.com.
- Fantastic Movie Musings & Ramblings. "Fantastic Movie Musings & Ramblings - A SHOT IN THE DARK (1935)". scifilm.org. Archived from the original on April 2, 2015.
- A Shot in the Dark on IMDb
- The AFI Catalog of Feature Films:A Shot in the Dark
- A Shot in the Dark is available for free download at the Internet Archive
|This article about a mystery film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|