A Sister's All You Need
|A Sister's All You Need|
Light novel volume 1 cover
(Imōto Sae Ireba Ii.)
|Written by||Yomi Hirasaka|
|Original run||March 18, 2015 – present|
|Imōto Sae Ireba Ii. @comic|
|Written by||Yomi Hirasaka|
|Magazine||Monthly Sunday Gene-X|
|Original run||May 19, 2016 – present|
|Imōto Sae Ireba Ii. Gaiden: Imōto ni Saenareba Ii!|
|Written by||Yomi Hirasaka|
|Published by||Square Enix|
|Original run||November 2016 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Shin Ōnuma|
|Written by||Yomi Hirasaka|
|Music by||Tomoki Kikuya|
|Original network||Tokyo MX, KBS, Sun TV, BS11, AT-X|
|Original run||October 8, 2017 – December 24, 2017|
A Sister's All You Need (妹さえいればいい。 Imōto Sae Ireba Ii.) is a Japanese light novel series written by Yomi Hirasaka and illustrated by Kantoku. Shogakukan has published nine novels since March 2015 under their Gagaga Bunko imprint. Two manga adaptations have been published by Shogakukan and Square Enix. An anime television series adaptation by Silver Link premiered on October 8, 2017.
The story follows the novelist Itsuki Hashima who is surrounded by various people, including a beautiful genius writer who loves him, a big-sisterly college classmate, a fellow male writer, a sadistic tax accountant, and his editor. As the story progresses, the underlying conflicts of dreams and goals surface, as each character attempts to achieve their dreams, in their own way. One such example is the rivalry between author Itsuki and his friend Haruto. Itsuki's stories are driven by a passion for stories about little sisters with praise from a selective yet strongly supportive fan-base, whereas Haruto's stories are given by victory and romance through more common, yet popular cliches. Each of their stories are riddled with common light novel themes and concepts, such as romantic comedy elements and erotic illustrations. They are all looked after by Itsuki's younger "brother" Chihiro, who in fact is his younger step sister.
- Itsuki Hashima (羽島 伊月 Hashima Itsuki)
- Voiced by: Yūsuke Kobayashi (Japanese); Stephen Fu (English)
- Itsuki is the 20-year-old protagonist of the series who has an obsession towards younger sisters. He is a novelist who debuted when he was in high school; all of his novels feature younger sisters as the heroine. In the span of five years, he has published 20 books, some of which have ranked in the top 10 weekly rankings for light novels on Oricon. Despite his success, his irrational personality and writing style has led to mediocre success compared to his fellow writers. His relationship with his father became worse when his father remarried to Chihiro's mother only three years after Itsuki's mother died.
- Chihiro Hashima (羽島 千尋 Hashima Chihiro)
- Voiced by: Nozomi Yamamoto (Japanese); Arielle O'Neil (English)
- Chihiro appears as Itsuki's younger stepbrother, but Chihiro is actually a girl. She is a dependable person who looks after everyone around her. The reason why she hides her real gender is because their father thought she was in danger when he found out about Itsuki's obsession during his novel debut. She hides her true identity only in front of Itsuki and his acquaintances. Her main hobby throughout the series is housekeeping.
- Nayuta Kani (可児 那由多 Kani Nayuta)
- Voiced by: Hisako Kanemoto (Japanese); Jamie Marchi (English)
- Nayuta is an 18-year-old genius novelist who debuted after she won a newcomer prize. Nayuta Kani is her pseudonym and even Itsuki does not know her real name. She cannot write if she is not naked, has a slight obsession with personal nudity, and she likes dirty jokes. Starting in junior high school, she refused to go to school after getting bullied. After reading Itsuki's novel, she falls in love with him and will not hesitate to show it.
- Miyako Shirakawa (白川 京 Shirakawa Miyako)
- Voiced by: Risa Taneda (1st drama CD), Ai Kakuma (2nd drama CD & anime) (Japanese); Sara Ragsdale (English)
- Miyako is Itsuki's classmate at college who at first had a bad first impression towards him. While Miyako does not understand Itsuki's stories, she became his fashion advisor to help him with his novel. After Itsuki dropped out college, Miyako still comes to see him. She has feelings for Itsuki but decided to support Nayuta instead. She is good friends with Nayuta and seems to be getting dragged into the latter's obsession with personal nudity.
- Haruto Fuwa (不破 春斗 Fuwa Haruto)
- Voiced by: Satoshi Hino (Japanese); Alejandro Saab (English)
- Haruto is another novelist who debuted around the same time as Itsuki. Despite his cool appearance, he loves maid characters and owns a lot of adult games and figurines. Haruto has a "persona" in his social media to gain fans for his novel and to increase his series' popularity. He has a younger sister (Voiced by: Kaori Mizuhashi (Japanese); Kristen McGuire (English)) whom he thought is harsh to him, but is actually a sister who cannot be honest. His light novel series got a poorly-adapted anime because it was used as tool for newcomer voice actors with no ability. In the middle of his shock, Miyako encouraged him and his hard work. He gained a crush on Miyako, however he found out her feelings for Itsuki and decided to "keep going on his pace."
- Setsuna Ena (恵那 刹那 Ena Setsuna)
- Voiced by: Tsubasa Yonaga
- Setsuna is a 16-year-old illustrator who goes under the pen name "Puriketsu" (ぷりけつ). Setsuna was in charge of illustrating Itsuki's novels until Itsuki decided to stop because he thought his series is not worthy enough for Setsuna's art and asked him to wait until he is worthy enough. He dresses in Harajuku fashion and has an easygoing personality, even on deadlines. He has a butt fetish.
- Ashley Ōno (大野 アシュリー Ōno Ashurī)
- Voiced by: Manami Numakura (Japanese); Amber Lee Connors (English)
- Ashley is a 32-year-old tax accountant who wears a red lolita style dress. She is reliable but sadistic; she makes her clients reveal their fetishes through their expenses, but raises their tax return in exchange. She is currently the only one among Itsuki's acquaintances who knows about Chihiro's real identity.
- Kenjirō Toki (土岐 健次郎 Toki Kenjirō)
- Voiced by: Kōsuke Toriumi (Japanese); Eric Vale (English)
- Kenjirō is an editor at GF Bunko who is in charge of Itsuki's works. He looks like a typical office worker and is often seen drunk when overly stressed with his job, particularly when it comes to Itsuki and Setsuna's deadlines.
- Kaiko Mikuniyama (三国山 蚕 Mikuniyama Kaiko)
- Voiced by: Akane Fujita (Japanese); Jad Saxton (English)
- Kaiko is a girl who is in charge of adapting Itsuki's novel Imōto no Subete (妹のすべて, The A to Z of Little Sisters) (Mahō Gakuen (
妹法学園) in the anime) into a manga. Her drawing skill level is so high that Itsuki becomes moved after seeing her works, despite her being a newcomer. She has an underwear fetish and refuses to draw a completely naked person without one. The ribbon she wears on her head is actually a pair of panties; she will wear them on her face before she draws.
A Sister's All You Need is written by Yomi Hirasaka and illustrated by Kantoku. Shogakukan published the first volume on March 18, 2015 under their Gagaga Bunko imprint. The limited edition of volumes 4 and 7 include a drama CD. Yen Press have licensed the novels in North America. The series is also published in Taiwan by Tong Li Publishing.
|No.||Japanese release date||Japanese ISBN||English release date||English ISBN|
|1||March 18, 2015||ISBN 978-4-09-451507-7||May 22, 2018||ISBN 978-1-97-532642-5|
|2||July 17, 2015||ISBN 978-4-09-451560-2||September 18, 2018||ISBN 978-1-97-535359-9|
|3||November 18, 2015||ISBN 978-4-09-451580-0||—||—|
|4||March 18, 2016||ISBN 978-4-09-451598-5 (regular ed.)|
ISBN 978-4-09-451597-8 (limited ed.)
|5||July 20, 2016||ISBN 978-4-09-451618-0||—||—|
|6||December 20, 2016||ISBN 978-4-09-451646-3||—||—|
|7||May 18, 2017||ISBN 978-4-09-451677-7 (regular ed.)|
ISBN 978-4-09-451676-0 (limited ed.)
|8||September 20, 2017||ISBN 978-4-09-451697-5||—||—|
|9||February 20, 2018||ISBN 978-4-09-451719-4||—||—|
A manga adaptation, titled Imōto Sae Ireba Ii. @comic and illustrated by Idu, began serialization in the January 2016 issue of Shogakukan's Monthly Sunday Gene-X magazine. A spin-off manga, titled Imōto Sae Ireba Ii. Gaiden: Imōto ni Sae Nareba Ii! (妹さえいればいい。外伝 妹にさえなればいい!) and illustrated by Kobashiko, began serialization in the November 2016 issue of Square Enix's Gangan Joker.
An anime television series adaptation, directed by Shin Ōnuma and produced by Silver Link, premiered on October 8, 2017. Author Yomi Hirasaka is writing the scripts, Sumie Kinoshita is designing the characters, and Tomoki Kikuya is composing the music. The opening theme song "Ashita no Kimi Sae Ireba Ii." (明日の君さえいればいい。, lit. It'll be Good if Only You're Here Tomorrow) is performed by ChouCho, while the ending theme song "Donna Hoshizora yori mo, Donna Omoide yori mo" (どんな星空よりも、どんな思い出よりも) is performed by Aira Yūki. Crunchyroll is streaming the series with Funimation streaming a simuldub.
A short anime series titled ** Sae Ireba Ii. (○○さえいればいい。) is streamed online through the anime's official Twitter account following the broadcast of the anime television series. Each episode is two minutes long with super deformed characters. Kenshiro Morii serves as the director.
|No.||Title[a]||Original air date|
|1||"I Only Need a Little Brother Who Can Cook, a Beautiful Naked Girl, and Friends I Can Relate To."|
"Ryōri Jōzu no Otōto to Zenra no Bishōjo to Ki no Au Tomodachi Sae Ireba Ii." (料理上手の弟と全裸の美少女と気の合う友達さえいればいい。)
|October 8, 2017|
|After the draft for a new work is rejected by his editor, Kenjirō Toki, light novel author Itsuki Hashima hangs out at his home with his stepbrother Chihiro Hashima, his former collegemate Miyako Shirakawa and fellow authors Nayuta Kani and Haruto Fuwa.|
|2||"If Only a Miracle Would Happen."|
"Kiseki Sae Okireba Ii." (奇跡さえ起きればいい。)
|October 15, 2017|
|After paying a visit to Itsuki, Nayuta and Miyako talk about how they met him and became his friends.|
|3||"As Long as It's Research"|
"Shuzai de Sae Areba Ii." (取材でさえあればいい。)
|October 22, 2017|
|Out of inspirations for the latest volume of his series, Itsuki travels to Okinawa with Nayuta and Miyako, and then is dragged to Hokkaido along another of his friends, the illustrator Setsuna Ena.|
|4||"As Long as You're Working."|
"Shigoto Sae Sureba Ii." (仕事さえすればいい。)
|October 29, 2017|
|As the deadline for the volume approaches Itsuki accepts Haruto's suggestion to hire tax accountant Ashley Ono in order to increase his tax returns, unaware of her sadistic nature.|
|5||"All You Need is to Write Novels."|
"Shōsetsu Sae Kakeba Ii." (小説さえ書けばいい。)
|November 5, 2017|
|The deadline is at hand and Itsuki is hunted down by Kenjirō, who declares that he will not let him go until he delivers his work.|
|6||"Having Your Media Developments Go Well Is All You Need."|
"Media Tenkai Sae Umaku Ikebai Ii." (メディア展開さえ上手くいけばいい。)
|November 12, 2017|
|After celebrating the upcoming manga adaptation of his light novel, Itsuki gather his friends to watch the debut of the anime adaptation of Haruto's own work, but things don't turn out as expected.|
|7||"Adventure Is All You Need."|
"Bōken Sae Areba Ii." (冒険さえあればいい。)
|November 19, 2017|
|With Haruto still in dismay due to the negative reception of the anime series, Itsuki invites him, Chihiro, Nayuta and Miyako to his house for an RPG session.|
|8||"All You Need is Love and Friendship."|
"Koi to Yūjō Sae Areba Ii." (恋と友情さえあればいい。)
|November 26, 2017|
|Finishing their RPG session, Haruto admits to Itsuki about his love for Miyako, with Itsuki promising to help Haruto with his relationship. In the end, though, Haruto realizes that Miyako loves Itsuki and calls their deal off.|
|9||"Nudity and Underwear are All You Need."|
"Zenra to Shitagi Sae Areba Ii." (全裸と下着さえあればいい。)
|December 3, 2017|
|Itsuki has a rather serious divergence regarding the manga adaptation of his novel with the illustrator, Mikuniyama, and his friends step in to settle the dispute in the most unusual ways.|
|10||"A Lack of Problems Is All You Need."|
"Nayami Sae Nakereba Ii." (悩みさえなければいい。)
|December 10, 2017|
|The story of how Itsuki lost his mother and his father's remarriage with Chihiro's mother created a rift between them is revealed, as well as Chihiro's true nature that only Itsuki and his friends are unaware of. Haruto ironically also begins to understand Itsuki's opinion on little sisters.|
|11||"Becoming the Protagonist Is All You Need."|
"Shujinkō ni Sae Nareba Ii." (主人公にさえなればいい。)
|December 17, 2017|
|After Itsuki and Nayuta deliver their manuscripts, they and their friends gather for another board game session at Itsuki's apartment. Later that night, Itsuki reveals to Haruto his true feelings for Nayuta, and the reason why he does not follow them. In the end scene, it is revealed that his light novel is green lit for an anime adaptation.|
|12||"A Sister's All You Need?"|
"Imōto Sae Ireba Ii?" (妹さえいればいい？)
|December 24, 2017|
|More details about Itsuki's past are revealed, including the origin of his obsession with little sisters. Itsuki also learns that his light novel will also be adapted into an anime series; despite the prospect of it failing as strongly as the series based on Haruto's work, Itsuki is still determined to attain his longtime dream of being the protagonist of his own life and begins work on the project. Another board game is played.|
- All English titles are taken from Crunchyroll.
- Haganai – a light novel series by the same author
- "Imōto Sae Ireba Ii. Light Novels by Haganai's Hirasaka Get Fall TV Anime". Anime News Network. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- "Imōto Sae Ireba Ii. Anime Announces Cast, Staff". Anime News Network. July 18, 2017. Retrieved July 18, 2017.
- "FunimationNow Fall 2017 SimulDubs & English Casts". Funimation. October 27, 2017. Retrieved October 27, 2017.
- "小林裕介と山本希望が演じる羽島兄妹降臨！ 『妹さえいればいい。 4 ドラマCD付き限定特装版』発売決定". Voice-Style (in Japanese). February 18, 2016. Retrieved July 18, 2017.
- "Amber Lee Connors". Twitter. November 20, 2017. Retrieved November 27, 2017.
It's that time of year! TAXES. If you want some solid tax advice you should check out the latest episode of "A Sister's All You Need" Also I voice the tax accountant, Ashley Ono!
- "妹さえいればいい。". Shogakukan (in Japanese). Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- "妹さえいればいい。４ ドラマＣＤ付き限定特装版" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- "妹さえいればいい。７ ドラマＣＤ付き限定特装版" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- "Yen Press Licenses Silver Spoon, Kemono Friends Manga, Imōto Sae Ireba Ii., Reborn as a Vending Machine Light Novels, More". Anime News Network. June 2, 2017. Retrieved July 2, 2017.
- "如果有妹妹就好了。" (in Chinese). Tong Li Publishing. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- "A Sister's All You Need., Vol 1 (light novel)". Hachette Book Group. Retrieved November 25, 2017.
- "妹さえいればいい。2" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- "A Sister's All You Need., Vol 2 (light novel)". Hachette Book Group. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- "妹さえいればいい。3" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- "妹さえいればいい。4" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- "妹さえいればいい。5" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- "妹さえいればいい。 6". Shogakukan (in Japanese). Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- "妹さえいればいい。7" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- "妹さえいればいい。8" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved October 4, 2017.
- "妹さえいればいい。 9". 小学館 (in Japanese). Retrieved February 8, 2018.
- "Imōto Sae Ireba Ii. Light Novels by Haganai's Hirasaka Get Manga Adaptation". Anime News Network. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- "妹さえいればいい。@comic 平坂 読+い～どぅ～" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- "妹さえいればいい。外伝 妹にさえなればいい！ - 連載作品" (in Japanese). Square Enix. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- "Imōto Sae Ireba Ii. Anime's Site Briefly Listed Studio Silver Link, Director Shin Oonuma". Anime News Network. May 12, 2017. Retrieved November 8, 2017.
- "Imōto Sae Ireba Ii. Anime Reveals Promo Video, Theme Songs, October 8 Premiere". Anime News Network. September 6, 2017. Retrieved September 6, 2017.
- "Crunchyroll, Funimation Add 7 Fall Anime Titles". Anime News Network. September 27, 2017. Retrieved September 27, 2017.
- "オリジナルTwitterアニメ「○○さえいればいい。」遂に公開！". Twitter. Retrieved October 9, 2017.
- "Story" (in Japanese). Silver Link. Retrieved May 10, 2018.
- "A Sister's All You Need" (in Japanese). Tokyo MX. Retrieved October 15, 2017.