A Study in Scarlet (1933 film)
|A Study in Scarlet|
|Directed by||Edwin L. Marin|
|Produced by||Samuel Bischoff|
|Written by||Robert Florey|
Arthur Conan Doyle
Anna May Wong
|Edited by||Rose Loewinger|
|Distributed by||Sono Art-World Wide Pictures|
A Study in Scarlet is a 1933 American Pre-Code drama film directed by Edwin L. Marin and starring Reginald Owen as Sherlock Holmes and Anna May Wong as Mrs. Pyke. The title comes from Arthur Conan Doyle's novel of the same name, the first in the Holmes series, but the screenplay by Robert Florey was original.
Despite her billing, Anna May Wong only appears on screen for less than ten minutes. Reginald Owen had played Dr. Watson in Sherlock Holmes the previous year; Owen was one of only five actors to play both Holmes and Watson (Jeremy Brett played Watson on stage in the United States prior to adopting the mantle of Holmes on British television, and Howard Marion-Crawford played Holmes on British radio and Watson on American television; Carleton Hobbs played both roles in British radio adaptations; while Patrick Macnee played both roles in US television movies).
- Reginald Owen as Sherlock Holmes
- Anna May Wong as Mrs. Pyke
- June Clyde as Eileen Forrester
- Alan Dinehart as Thaddeus Merrydew
- John Warburton as John Stanford
- Alan Mowbray as Lestrade
- Warburton Gamble as Dr. Watson
- J. M. Kerrigan as Jabez Wilson
- Wyndham Standing as Captain Pyke
- Billy Bevan as Will Swallow
- Leila Bennett as Daffy Dolly
- Halliwell Hobbes as Malcolm Dearing
- Doris Lloyd as Mrs. Murphy
- Hobart Cavanaugh as Thompson (uncredited)
- Olaf Hytten as Merrydew's Butler (uncredited)
- Taves, Brian (1987). Robert Florey, the French Expressionist. New Jersey: Scarecrow Press. p. 152. ISBN 0-8108-1929-5.
- Eyles, Allen (1986). Sherlock Holmes: A Centenary Celebration. Harper & Row. pp. 84–85. ISBN 0-06-015620-1.
- Bunson, Matthew (1994). Encyclopedia Sherlockiana: an A-to-Z guide to the world of the great detective. Macmillan. p. 255. ISBN 978-0-671-79826-0.
- Barnes, Alan (2002). Sherlock Holmes on Screen. Reynolds & Hearn. p. 39. ISBN 1-903111-04-8.
- Eyles, Allen (1986). Sherlock Holmes: A Centenary Celebration. Harper & Row. p. 86. ISBN 0-06-015620-1.
- Barnes, Alan (2011). Sherlock Holmes on Screen. Titan Books. p. 76. ISBN 9780857687760.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: A Study in Scarlet (1933 film)|
- Media related to A Study in Scarlet (1933 film) at Wikimedia Commons
- A Study in Scarlet on IMDb
- A Study in Scarlet is available for free download at the Internet Archive
|This article about a 1930s crime drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|