A Suitable Boy (TV series)
|A Suitable Boy|
|Based on||A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth|
|Written by||Andrew Davies|
|Directed by||Mira Nair|
|Country of origin|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||6 (list of episodes)|
|Production company(s)||Lookout Point|
|Original network||BBC One|
|Picture format||2:1 1080p|
|Original release||26 July 2020 –|
A Suitable Boy is a BBC television drama miniseries directed by Mira Nair and adapted by Andrew Davies from Vikram Seth's 1993 novel of the same name. Set in North India in 1951, it follows the coming of age of Lata (Tanya Maniktala), a spirited university student. Also starring Tabu, Ishaan Khatter, Rasika Dugal, and Ram Kapoor
- Tabu as Saeeda Bai
- Ishaan Khatter as Maan Kapoor
- Tanya Maniktala as Lata Mehra
- Rasika Dugal as Savita Mehra Kapoor
- Mahira Kakkar as Rupa Mehra
- Ram Kapoor as Mahesh Kapoor
- Gagan Dev Riar as Pran Kapoor
- Vivek Gomber as Arun Mehra
- Vivaan Shah as Varun Mehra
- Shahana Goswami as Meenakshi Chatterji Mehra
- Mikhail Sen as Amit Chatterji
- Namit Das as Haresh Khanna
- Danesh Razvi as Kabir Durrani
- Joyeeta Dutta as Tasneem
- Sharvari Deshpande as Malati
- Shujaat Khan as Ustad Majeed Khan
- Shubham Saraf as Firoz Khan
- Randeep Hooda as Billy Irani
- Aamir Bashir as Nawab of Baitar
- Ranvir Shorey as Waris
- Vijay Varma as Rasheed
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda as Kishen Chand Seth
- Vinay Pathak as L.N. Agrawal
- Manoj Pahwa as Raja Of Marh
- Sadaf Jafar as Bibbo
- Mansi Multani
- Amrita Dass as the Sweet Lady
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date ||UK viewers|
|1||"Episode 1"||Mira Nair||Andrew Davies||26 July 2020||4.60|
|2||"Episode 2"||Mira Nair||Andrew Davies||2 August 2020||N/A|
|3||"Episode 3"||Mira Nair||Andrew Davies||9 August 2020||TBD|
|4||"Episode 4"||Mira Nair||Andrew Davies||16 August 2020||TBD|
In May 2017, Charlotte Moore, BBC's Director of Content, announced that A Suitable Boy adaptation written by Andrew Davies was under development. In May 2019, the six-part series was officially commissioned by BBC Studios, with Indian filmmaker Mira Nair being brought on board as director. Produced on a budget of £16 million, it is one of the most expensive BBC series ever made.
The first members to join the series' main cast were Tabu (Tabassum Fatima Hashmi), Ishaan Khatter and Tanya Maniktala, in August 2019. Rasika Duggal, Mahira Kakkar and Namit Das joined the cast the following month.
- "BBC - Cast announced for BBC One's A Suitable Boy, the first screen adaptation of Vikram Seth's classic novel - Media Centre". www.bbc.co.uk. 12 August 2019. Archived from the original on 14 April 2020.
- "Ishaan Khatter joins Tabu in Mira Nair's film adaptation of Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 12 August 2019.
- Watson, Fay (13 August 2019). "A Suitable Boy BBC start date, cast, trailer, plot: When does A Suitable Boy air?". Daily Express. Archived from the original on 13 August 2019.
- "A Suitable Boy - Listings". BBC One. Retrieved 19 July 2020.
- Goldbart, Max (27 July 2020). "Suitable Boy intrigues 4.6m". Broadcast.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (5 May 2017). "Andrew Davies Adapting Vikram Seth's 'A Suitable Boy' For BBC One, Lookout Point". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on 2 August 2020.
- India, Press Trust of (21 May 2019). "Mira Nair's 'A Suitable Boy' all set to roll". Business Standard. Archived from the original on 6 October 2019.
- "Rasika Dugal, Namit Das join Mira Nair's A Suitable Boy". India Today. 30 September 2019. Archived from the original on 1 October 2019.
- "Meet the cast of BBC One's A Suitable Boy". Radio Times. Archived from the original on 26 July 2020.
- "A Suitable Boy: Mira Nair's BBC adaptation of Vikram Seth's book, featuring Ishaan Khatter, Tabu goes on floor". Firstpost. 7 September 2019. Archived from the original on 9 September 2019.
- "Where is A Suitable Boy filmed? Your location guide to the BBC and Netflix adaptation". Radio Times. Archived from the original on 25 July 2020.
- Watson, Fay (11 July 2020). "A Suitable Boy release date: When is A Suitable Boy out on BBC One?". Daily Express. Retrieved 11 July 2020.
- Frater, Patrick (15 July 2020). "BBC's 'A Suitable Boy' Vikram Seth Adaptation Heads to Netflix". Variety.