A System of Logic
A System of Logic, Ratiocinative and Inductive is an 1843 book by English philosopher John Stuart Mill. In this work, he formulated the five principles of inductive reasoning that are known as Mill's Methods. This work is important in the philosophy of science, and more generally, insofar as it outlines the empirical principles Mill would use to justify his moral and political philosophies. An article in "Philosophy of Recent Times" has described this book as an "attempt to expound a psychological system of logic within empiricist principles.”
This work was important to the history of science, being a strong influence on scientists such as Dirac. A System of Logic also had an impression on Gottlob Frege, who rebuked many of Mill's ideas about the philosophy of mathematics in his work The Foundations of Arithmetic.
Mill revised the original work several times over the course of thirty years in response to critiques and commentary by Whewell, Bain, and others.
- Farmelo, Graham (2009). The Strangest Man: The Hidden Life of Paul Dirac, Quantum Genius. Faber and Faber. ISBN 9780571222780.
- Cassidy, David C. (2010). "Graham Farmelo. The Strangest Man: The Hidden Life of Paul Dirac, Mystic of the Atom". Isis. University of Chicago Press. 101: 661–661. doi:10.1086/657209.
Farmelo also discusses, across several chapters, the influences of John Stuart Mill...
- Frege, Gottlob (1980). The foundations of arithmetic; a logico-mathematical enquiry into the concept of number. Translated by Austin, J. L. (2nd ed.). Evanston, Illinois: Northwestern University Press. ISBN 0810106051. OCLC 650.
- Mill, John Stuart, A System of Logic, University Press of the Pacific, Honolulu, 2002, ISBN 1-4102-0252-6
- Philosophy of Recent Times, ed. J. B. Hartmann (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1967), I, 14.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: A System of Logic|
- 1843. Google Books: Vol. I, Vol. II (first edition)
- 1846. Google Books: All
- 1851. Google Books: Vol. I, Vol. II missing? Internet Archive: Vol. I, Vol. II missing? (third edition)
- 1858. Google Books: All
- 1862. Google Books: Vol. I, Vol. II
- 1868. Internet Archive: Vol. I, Vol. II. Also Vol. I, Vol. II. Also Vol. I (seventh edition)
- 1872. Internet Archive: Vol. I, Vol. II. Also partial HTML version.(eighth edition)
- 1882. Internet Archive: All
- 1882. Project Gutenberg: All
- 1974 (comparative edition). Robson, J. M., ed. (1963–1991), Collected Works of John Stuart Mill, Toronto: University of Toronto Press. Appeared in Vol. 7, and Vol. 8 of the series.
|This article about a philosophy-related book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|