A Taxing Woman
|A Taxing Woman|
Theatrical poster for A Taxing Woman (1987)
|Directed by||Juzo Itami|
|Produced by||Seigo Hosogoe
|Written by||Juzo Itami|
|Music by||Toshiyuki Honda|
|Edited by||Akira Suzuki|
|February 7, 1987|
A female tax auditor, Ryōko Itakura, inspects the accounts of various Japanese companies, uncovering hidden incomes and recovering unpaid taxes.
One day she persuades her boss to let her investigate the owner of a string of love hotels who seems to be avoiding tax, but after an investigation no evidence is found. During the investigation the inspector and the inspected owner, Hideki Gondō, develop an unspoken respect for each other.
She is promoted to the post of government tax inspector. When the same case reappears she is again allowed to investigate. During a sophisticated series of raids against the hotel owner's interests, she accidentally comes across a hidden room containing vital incriminating evidence. On the same day, she helps Gondō with his relationship with his teenage son. While she is doing all of this, she is neglecting her own son at home, calling him from her office at night and saying, "You can heat up your own dumplings in the microwave! You are big now! You are five!"
Six months later the two meet again. The man is tired after daily interrogations. She tries to persuade him to surrender his last secrets for the sake of his son. After she declines an offer to live with him, he cuts his finger and writes the name of the secret bank account in blood on a handkerchief of hers that he saved from the first time she investigated him.
- Nobuko Miyamoto: Ryōko Itakura
- Tsutomu Yamazaki: Hideki Gondō
- Masahiko Tsugawa: Hanamura
- Yasuo Daichi: Ijūin
- Kinzoh Sakura: Kaneko
- Hajime Asō: Himeda
- Kiriko Shimizu: Kazue Kenmochi
- Kazuyo Matsui: Kumi Torikai
- Hideo Murota: Jūkichi Ishii
- Machiko Watanabe: Nurse
- Shōtarō Takeuchi: Rihei Hakamada
- Mitsuhiko Kiyohisa: Gondō no Untenshu
- Akira Shioji: Fudōsan'ya
- Kōichi Ueda: Ninagawa no Fukushin
- Yūsuke Nagumo: Ninagawa no Kobun
- Keiju Kobayashi: Boss
- Infobox data from マルサの女 (in Japanese). Japanese Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-05-12. and Marusa no onna (1987) at the Internet Movie Database
- "Awards for Marusa no onna (1987)" (in Japanese). Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- Erickson, Hal. "Marusa no onna (A Taxing Woman) (1987)". Rotten Tomatoes Movie Review. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- Marusa no onna (1987) at the Internet Movie Database
- マルサの女 (in Japanese). Japanese Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-05-12.
- "MARUSA NO ONNA". Complete Index to World Film. Retrieved 2009-05-12.
- マルサの女 (in Japanese). walkerplus.com. Retrieved 2009-05-12.
- マルサの女(1987) (in Japanese). allcinema.net]. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- マルサの女. Variety Japan (in Japanese). Retrieved 2009-05-12.
|This film article about a 1980s comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a Japanese film of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|