A Town Called Panic
|A Town Called Panic|
A Town Called Panic title card
|Genre||Animated Puppetoon children's television series|
|Created by||La Parti / Pic Pic André|
|Voices of||French/Belgian version:
|Country of origin||Belgium|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||20 (list of episodes)|
|Producer(s)||Vincent Patar and Stéphane Aubier|
|Running time||20 x 5 minutes|
|First shown in||2000|
A Town Called Panic (in French, Panique au village) is a French-language Belgian-produced stop motion animated puppetoon children's television series distributed by Aardman Animations and produced in Belgium by Vincent Patar and Stéphane Aubier for La Parti & Pic Pic André. It follows the everyday events of Cowboy, Indian and Horse in a small rural town as they go about their lives. Each episode is roughly 5 minutes long and is crudely animated: the characters are meant to resemble cheap toy figurines. Some stations broadcast several episodes in a 15 or 30-minute block.
A Town Called Panic is seen worldwide on channels such as ABC Rollercoaster in Australia, Nicktoons Network in the United States, EBS in South Korea, and Teletoon in Canada, and is available online at Atom Films.
In the UK, A Town Called Panic aired on Nickelodeon. Much of the characters and scenery were later recycled for the Cravendale Milk adverts (2007–2010) using a Pirate, a Cow and a bicyclist as the characters.
In 2013, a half-hour Christmas Special was made, which received an English dub that aired on CBBC in 2014 under the title A Christmas Panic. The English dub for this special used different voice actors than the dub for the original series.
In 2016, a double feature consisting of the 2013 Christmas Special plus a new half-hour episode titled Back To School was released to cinemas worldwide under the name A Town Called Panic: Double Fun.
This is the list of major characters in the original 20-episode run, with short descriptions.
- Cowboy (Coboy)
Voiced By: Stéphane Aubier (French) / David Holt (English)
Cowboy is a toy figurine of a cowboy in a blue shirt and brown leather trousers, with a hat and, most of the time, a rifle. Cowboy is rather cowardly and not really bright, often getting himself into bad situations through his recklessness and childish behaviour. He has something of a sibling rivalry with Indian (though they most likely aren't really related), and is intimidated by Horse.
- Indian (Indien)
Indian is a toy figurine of a stereotypical Native American tribal chief or elder, in a yellow shirt and brown leather trousers, with an elaborate and large feather headdress. He carries a ceremonial staff. Besides the usual standing position he is often seen in a Native American-style meditative pose. Other times he carries a bow and arrow. Indian is a little more mature than Cowboy, but still pursues foolhardy quests almost as much as his counterpart. He is also somewhat fearful of Horse. In the Christmas Special's English dub, his name is changed to Chief.
- Horse (Cheval)
Voiced By: Vincent Patar (French) / Alexander Armstrong (English)
Horse is a toy figurine of a brown horse. Although an animal, Horse is easily as intelligent as Cowboy and Indian (put together) and is the leader of the "family" he, Cowboy and Indian are part of. Even though he walks on all fours, he does most of the chores around their house, as both his charges are domestically useless. He maintains a cool head, doesn't engage in the foolish pursuits of Cowboy and Indian and keeps a semblance of normality in the house. When Cowboy and/or Indian infuriate him, he kicks them (presumably with his hind legs) all over the house and usually into one of the walls, which is sufficient to keep the two in line most of the time. In the film, his birthday is June 21.
A farmer who owns the only other house in the village. Constantly yells, even when not angry, and is very possessive of his tractor.
Voiced By: Lucy Montgomery (English)
Steven's loving wife.
Steven and Jeanine's daughter
- Policeman (Gendarme)
Voiced By: David Holt (English)
Lives in a guard shack by the side of the road that passes through the village.
- Farm animals (Animaux)
The animals on Steven's farm.
- The bear (L'ours)
Voiced By: Didier Odieu (French)
This is a figurine of a black bear on its hind legs that chases many of the characters quite frequently, usually after having been disturbed by them from his sleep. It is never made clear if it is the same bear or a different one every time, though they all look the same.
- Robin Hood
Voiced By: David Holt (English)
A hunter obviously parodied from the original Robin Hood stories. He is a peckish and sometimes extremely careless hunter who lives in a caravan in the woods. He can be recognised by his long blond hair, his green hunting clothes and his posh English accent, he carries an archery kit around with him.
Up to Nov 24th 2011 20 episodes of "A Town Called Panic" had been made.
- Cake (Le gâteau) - Horse bakes a delicious cake, so Cowboy and Indian plan a midnight feast which is scuppered by the arrival of an angry bear.
- Cow Hulk (Cob'Hulk) - After Cowboy accidentally swallows a little pebble, things go out of hand when he suddenly turns into a caveman, gorilla, and a dinosaur.
- The Easy Chair (Le Relax) - Cowboy cannot resist messing around with Horse’s new lounger, which can change itself into a sun-bed, waffle-maker or Jacuzzi.
- Still Life (Un séance de pose) - Indian decides to take up painting, but the flower he chooses as his first subject is stolen first by Jeanine, then by Steven, then by the Cow.
- Lisa and Jan (Lise et Jan) - Two backpackers arrive in town, but Constable’s attempts to find them somewhere to pitch their tent leads to a series of disasters.
- Robin (Robin) - Robin’s appalling archery skills result in Jeanine’s kitchen catching fire. But when Bernadette gets the blame, her friends plot revenge.
- Fox Hunt (La chasse au renard) - Cowboy and Indian are on the trail of the same fox, but when Cowboy incurs the wrath of a ferocious bison, trouble soon escalates.
- A Grand Day Out (La belle excursion) - Joseph takes Steven and his family on a day trip to see a farm run entirely by animals. But the place is not all that it seems.
- Indian Treasure (Le trésor d'Indien) - Horse and Indian send Cowboy off on a wild goose chase. But what lies at the end of their mysterious trail?
- The Cycle Race (La course cycliste) - Cowboy and Indian are determined to win the Cycling Cup, and they don’t care what underhand means they use to achieve this.
- Constable's Fantastic Voyage (Le voyage de Gendarme) - A mysterious time machine takes Constable back to medieval times. But has the town really changed?
- Donkey Gets Kidnapped (On a kidnappé Âne) - Cowboy and Indian lure Steven’s animals into a glitzy disco, and take Donkey hostage in exchange for Steven’s tractor.
- The Big Sleep (Le grand sommeil) - A series of bizarre accidents sends Cowboy, Indian and Horse to sleep for centuries, and they awake to find a strange new world.
- Cowboy and Indian Go Camping (Coboy et Indien au camping) - Cowboy attempts to build a campfire while Indian goes off hunting, a sure-fire recipe for disaster.
- The Picnic (Déjeuner sur l'herbe) - Horse digs up a bus containing the 1986 Mexican World Cup squad, who challenge our heroes to a bizarre soccer match.
- The Card Thieves (Les voleurs de cartes) - Steven’s pack of cards is stolen, and the trail leads to the duckpond, and eventually to the underwater world of Atlantis.
- Cowboy Goes Hunting (Coboy chasseur) - Cowboy’s attempts to bag a wild boar cause chaos when they end up concussing Steven at the wheel of his tractor.
- Horse's Nephew (Laurent le neveu de Cheval) - When Horse’s mischievous nephew Lawrence comes to stay, Cowboy and Indian get blamed for a series of naughty pranks.
- Jeanine and Steven's Vacation (Janine et Steven en vacances) - Steven leaves Cowboy and Indian in charge of the farm, but the animals have plans for a vacation of their own.
- The Play (La pièce de théâtre) - The townsfolk put on a play in Steven’s barn. Simon is charge of the special effects, so does disastrous results.
- Panique au Village - Official Website (French)
- A Town Called Panic - Official Website (English)
- La parti - Production company website
- Pic Pic Andre - Production company website
- Watch the Entire Episodes of A Town Called Panic Series Online at Atom.com (English)
- AWN: Aardman Draws Buyers To A Town Called Panic
- A Town Called Panic Movie - Variety Review from Canne May, 2009
- Panique au village (TV series) at the Internet Movie Database