A Woman Hitting a Neo-Nazi With Her Handbag
A Woman Hitting a Neo-Nazi With Her Handbag (Swedish: Kvinnan med handväskan, lit. "The woman with the handbag") is a photograph taken in Växjö, Sweden on 13 April 1985 by Hans Runesson. It depicts a 38-year-old woman hitting a marching neo-nazi with a handbag. The photograph was taken during a demonstration of the Nordic Reich Party supporters. It was published in the next day's Dagens Nyheter and a day later in some British newspapers. Runesson's photograph was selected as the Swedish Picture of the Year (Årets bild) 1985 and later as the Picture of the Century by the magazine Vi and the Photographic Historical Society of Sweden.
The woman in the photograph is Danuta Danielsson (1947–1988). Not much is known of her as Danielsson did not want to come out in public and speak to journalists. She was of Polish origin and her mother had been in a German concentration camp during World War II.
In 2014, the Swedish sculptor Susanna Arwin made a miniature statue of Danielsson based on the photograph. There was an initiative to erect a life-size bronze version of Arwin's statue in the city of Växjö, but the project was blocked by local politicians of the Centre Party believing that such a statue might promote violence; a city councillor also stated that one of Danielsson's heirs had objected to her being remembered that way.
The photograph was produced using gelatin silver process and editioned by gallerist Pelle Unger. Twelve copies, three AP and three PP has been produced in the size 58 by 80 centimetres (23 in × 31 in) and price ranges between €3000–6000.
- "Berättelsen om det förra århundradets bästa foto" (in Swedish). Dagens Nyheter. 15 February 2014. Archived from the original on 17 February 2015. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- ""Tanten med väskan " blir staty i brons" (in Swedish). Dagens Nyheter. 1 April 2014. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Snart blir "Tanten med väskan" staty" (in Swedish). SVT Nyheter. 18 November 2014. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Tantstaty stoppas i Växjö" (in Swedish). Sveriges radio, Studio Ett. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- Swedish town nixes statue of woman hitting neo-Nazi, by Judah Ari Gross; in the Times of Israel; published March 1, 2015; retrieved December 9, 2016
- "Pelle Unger Gallery Stockholm photo journalism". Pelle Unger Gallery Stockholm photo journalism. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- ""hans runesson" – Search at Stockholms Auktionsverk". auktionsverket.se. Retrieved 2016-07-28.