Official DVD Cover
|Directed by||A. Venkatesh|
|Written by||Pattukkottai Prabakar (dialogues)|
|Screenplay by||A. Venkatesh|
|Story by||A. Venkatesh|
|Starring||Sarath Kumar |
Kota Srinivasa Rao
|Music by||Srikanth Deva|
|Edited by||V. T. Vijayan|
Aai (English: Hey/Yaai) is a 2004 Indian Tamil-language action masala film written and directed by A. Venkatesh. The film has Sarath Kumar in the main lead role, with Namitha, Vadivelu, Kalabhavan Mani, Ashish Vidyarthi, Kota Srinivasa Rao, and Vincent Asokan in other supporting roles. It was dubbed into Hindi as Nayi Baazi.
Sakthivel alias Velu (R. Sarathkumar) is living happily with his sister Lakshmi (Rithika) and friend Pazhani (Vadivelu) in Palani. He stays away from all wanted troubles and is forced to resort to fighting to defend his sister from the local rowdy Raghavan (Vincent Asokan).
A flashback follows, where it is revealed that Velu is a military officer and Lakshmi is actually the sister of his best friend, Police Officer Mani (Kalabhavan Mani) of Chennai, who wishes her to become a collector. Velu and Mani both clean up the society by punishing corrupt police officers. One day, Mani notices a wine shop opposite to the school where his wife Kanmani (Mayoori) teaches. Mani, Kanmani, Velu, and the schoolchildren destroy the wine shop by throwing and breaking bottles and Velu burning the shop.
The shop is owned by Naachiyar (Kota Srinivasa Rao). Naachiyar threatens Velu that he will destroy the school, but Velu prevents him by pouring oil at him, saying that before he destroys the school, Velu will destroy him. The next day, two wine shop men hide a bomb inside the school, under Naachiyar's plan. After getting a call from Kanmani, Velu and Mani both save the school children and Kanmani altogether. Unfortunately, Mani gets stabbed by a wine shop man and was thrown off from the school building. Velu tries to save Mani, but Mani dies. Mani gave an important wish to Velu, saying that his desire is to make his sister a collector.
After his death, Velu drags Naachiyar from the police department, shows Mani's ashes to him, and then shoots him twice. It is also revealed that Velu had went into hiding and maintained a low profile to protect him and Lakshmi from Naachiyar. After shooting Naachiyar, the military court said that Velu is innocent, but he had resigned from his military job to take care of Lakshmi and makes sure that she becomes a collector, as Mani wished. Then Velu, who keeps up the word which he gave to Mani and starts to kill the people who are guilty for his friend's murder.
First, he kills Raghavan, and then, he subdues Easwara Pandian (Ashish Vidyarthi), Naachiyar's sidekick. Then at a festival which is conducted for Lord Murugan, Naachiyar, the inspector (Thalaivasal Vijay), and Pandian beat up Velu and try to kidnap Lakshmi. However, Velu somehow stealthily kills everyone and finally kills Naachiyar. At the end, Lakshmi had become a collector, and Pazhani is her sidekick. The film ends with Mani's dream coming true.
- Sarathkumar as Sakthivel (Velu), a military officer
- Namitha as Anjali
- Vadivelu as Pazhani, Velu's friend
- Kalabhavan Mani as Mani, Velu's best friend
- Kota Srinivasa Rao as Naachiyar, a corrupt wine shop owner (main antagonist)
- Vincent Asokan as Raghavan, the local Palani rowdy
- Ashish Vidyarthi as Dindigal DSP Easwara Pandian, the corrupt police officer of Chennai and Naachiyar's sidekick
- Thalaivasal Vijay as Inspector, the corrupt police officer of Palani and Raghavan's sidekick
- Vijayakumar as DGP, Police Commissioner of Chennai
- Thyagu as Inspector Vavval Pandi
- Ponnambalam as Inspector Kalyanaraman
- Ilavarasu as Traffic Police Officer Subbarayan
- Mayoori as Kanmani, Mani's wife
- Rithika as Lakshmi, Mani's sister (later, Velu takes care of her)
- Paravai Muniyamma as Anjali's grandmother
- Bonda Mani as Auto Driver
- Crane Manohar as Customer
- Scissor Manohar as Pickpocket
- Joker Thulasi as Bus Conductor
- Manager Cheena as Post Office Customer
- Tirupur Ramasamy as Post Office Customer
- Kottai Perumal as Police Constable
- Kovai Senthil as Achari
- Priyanka as Widow
- Bava Lakshmanan
- Bayilvan Ranganathan
- M. Seenivasan
- Vengal Rao
- Vijay Ganesh
- Robo Shankar as Army Man (uncredited role)
- Mumtaj as an item number
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||Dec 17, 2004|
|Srikanth Deva chronology|
|1.||"Arjuna Arjuna"||Kalaikumar||Udit Narayan, Madhushree||5:13|
|2.||"Ooru Onu Onuu"||Vaali||R. Sarathkumar, Vadivelu, Anuradha Sriram, Paravai Muniyamma, Jaishree||5:27|
|3.||"Aai Mailapuru"||Pa. Vijay||Manikka Vinayagam, Sabesh, Ganga, Sadhana Sargam||5:18|
|4.||"Meyau Meyau"||Kalaikumar||Srikanth Deva, Sadhana Sargam||5:18|
|5.||"Neathi Adida Aai"||Vaali||Javed Ali, Sriram, Gopal Sharma, Kumar, Suchitra||5:03|
|6.||"Veluthu Kattu"||Vaali||Shankar Mahadevan||5:50|
Due to producer's financial crunch, Aai release was delayed for 4 months.
- "Aai Cast and Crew Tamil Movie Aai Cast and Crew". NOWRUNNING.
- http://www.sify.com/movies/two-films-are-further-delayed-news-tamil-kkfvCRdcjegsi.html Aei release delayed for 4 months