|Produced by||Mohan Natarajan|
Ravi Mariya (dialogues)
|Music by||Srikanth Deva|
|Edited by||V. T. Vijayan|
Sri Rajakaliamman Super Films
Aalwar (Tamil: ஆழ்வார்) is a 2007 Tamil film directed by Chella and produced by Mohan Natarajan. The film featured Ajith Kumar, Asin and Keerthi Chawla , Lal and Aditya Srivastava appearing in other pivotal roles. The film's score and soundtrack is by Srikanth Deva while the cinematography was by G. Ramesh. The film opened to negative reviews and huge disaster at box office.After this movie Ajith Kumar is called as ' Manidha Kadavul'.
Shiva (Ajith Kumar) is devoted to his mother (Geetha) and sister. But the villainous elements (Lal, Vincent Asokan) kill the sister and mother. Shiva, with revenge ringing in his mind, ends up as a killer, even while working as a ward boy in a hospital. Shiva is out to make a statement against the venal forces. He sees himself as some kind of avatar. In fact, he bumps off the baddies under the get-up's of Lord Rama and Lord Krishna. In climax, Shiva turns up as Lord Narasimha and bumps off the last villain by placing him on his thighs and ripping apart his bowels and chest with his sharp claws.
- Ajith Kumar as Shiva
- Asin as Priya
- Vivek as Pons
- Manorama as Priya's grandmother
- Keerthi Chawla as Madhu
- Aditya Srivastava as Inspector
- Geetha as Shiva's mother
- Vincent Asokan
Following the moderate success of his comeback films Paramasivan and Thirupathi, Ajith teamed up with a debutant Chella for a film to be produced by Mohan Natarajan. Chella had previously worked as an associate to S. J. Suryah, who Ajith had worked with in the 1999 film, Vaali. The film held its photo session on 20 July 2006 with Asin, Ajith's pair in the much delayed Varalaru, being selected once again while Ramesh G of Naalai was chosen as cinematographer. The film began at the Ramoji Rao Studios in Hyderabad in August 2006, with ajith putting on weight for the film. A couple of songs were filmed in Switzerland as the film geared up for a Pongal release alongside Vijay's Pokkiri. Shalini, Ajith's wife, was the costume designer for Ajith in the film.
|Soundtrack album by Srikanth Deva|
15 December 2006 (India)
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Srikanth Deva chronology|
- "Solli Tharava" – Sadhana Sargam, Muhamad Salamad
- "Pidikkum" – Madhushree
- "Anbulla Kadhali" – Kunal Ganjawala, Kushbu
- "Pallaandu" – Unnikrishnan, Senthildas
- "Mayile Mayile" – Srikanth Deva, Senthildas, Roshini, Suruthipriya, Arjun Thamas, Sujavitha
The film opened to negative with Sify.com labelling it a "built on a predictable premise" and described that Asin's looks were the only positive. Another critic described the film as "below average" citing that "the biggest drawback is that the story does not have a strong plot or surprising twists and that "there is also a palpable lack of chemistry between the characters and this gives the picture a poorly contrived feel." Rediff.com's review concluded that "Sella's directorial debut lacks originality and is a hotch potch of celebrated scripts of the past."
The producers later dubbed and released the film in Telugu as Avatharudu and Hindi as Mera Farz, with both versions going unnoticed. A Kannada remake was planned by Rajkumar but then later dropped. The director of the film, Chella, has not directed a film since despite announcing two other film, Neruppu Kozhi with Sakthi and Por Vaal with Jeevan.
- Ajith gets ready – Tamil Movie News. Indiaglitz.com (7 July 2006). Retrieved on 2017-05-05.
- Tamil movies : Ajith’s Aalvar – Photo session over and the film to kick off on August 1. Behindwoods.com (20 July 2006). Retrieved on 2017-05-05.
- Ajith back in the groove – Tamil Movie News. Indiaglitz.com (27 July 2006). Retrieved on 2017-05-05.
- Foreign locations beckon directors – Bollywood Movie News. Indiaglitz.com (19 December 2006). Retrieved on 2017-05-05.
- Pokiri and Aalwar audios doing brisk business – Tamil Movie News. Indiaglitz.com (23 December 2006). Retrieved on 2017-05-05.
- Tamil movies : ajithkumar ajith altimate star shalini mrs ajithkumar aalwar costume designer vijayakanth premalatha rajinikanth latharajinikanth. Behindwoods.com. Retrieved on 5 May 2017.
- Sify Movies – Review listing. Sify.com. Retrieved on 5 May 2017.
- Aalwar Review – Tamil Movie Aalwar nowrunning review. Nowrunning.com (15 January 2007). Retrieved on 2017-05-05.
- Alwar is run of the mill. Rediff.com (January 2007). Retrieved on 5 May 2017.
- Aalwar to speak in Kannada – Tamil Movie News. Indiaglitz.com (7 June 2007). Retrieved on 2017-05-05.