Aaron M. Ellison
Aaron M. Ellison is a senior research fellow at Harvard Forest and an adjunct research professor at the University of Massachusetts in the Departments of Biology and Environmental Conservation. Ellison has both authored and co-authored numerous scientific papers, books, book reviews and software reviews. In 2012 he was elected fellow by the Ecological Society of America and is the editor-in-chief of Ecological Monographs. Ellison has a strong research interest in community ecology.
Ellison was born in 1960 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. He attended Yale University where he studied East Asian Studies/Asian Philosophy and obtained his B.A in 1982. He later went on to obtain his Ph.D in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at Brown University in 1986. Ellison's post-doctoral positions were with the Organization for Tropical Studies in Costa Rica, Department of Biology, Tulane University, 1988-1989, and Cornell University, Section of Ecology and Systematics and Ecosystems Research Center, 1986-1988.
He spent a year educating students at Swarthmore College and in 1990 he moved to a permanent position at Mount Holyoke College. At Mount Holyoke, he was an Assistant, Associate, and Full Professor of Biology and Environmental Studies, educating students in biology, environmental studies and statistics until 2001. He also served as Sponsored Research Officer and Associate Dean for Science. After a year's sabbatical at Harvard Forest as a Charles Bullard Fellow, he moved to Harvard Forest as a senior ecologist in 2002.
Honours and awards
- 1992 – Presidential Faculty Fellow, U.S. National Science Foundation
- 2004 – Eminent Ecologist, Kellogg Biological Station
- 2008 – Distinguished Visiting Professor, University of Miami
- 2008 – Distinguished Ecologist, Michigan Technological University
- 2010 – Ledermann Lecturer in Natural History and Conservation Biology, University of Rhode Island
- 2012 – Elected Fellow, Ecological Society of America
- A primer of ecological statistics (1st and 2nd editions). 2004/2012. Gotelli, N. J. & A. M. Ellison. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Massachusetts, USA.
- A field guide to the ants of New England. 2012. Ellison, A. M., N. J. Gotelli, G. Alpert, and E. J. Farnsworth. Yale University Press, New Haven, Connecticut, USA.
- Big Data: Design and analysis of large-scale studies in ecology and ecosystem science. under contract. Ellison, A. M. & N. J. Gotelli. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Massachusetts, USA.
- Stepping in the same river twice: replication in biological research. under contract. Shavit, A. & A. M. Ellison. Yale University Press, New Haven, Connecticut, USA.
- "UMass Amherst: Biology Department: Faculty: Aaron M. Ellison". www.bio.umass.edu. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- ESA Historical Records Committee. "Past Journal Editors". esa.org. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- "Aaron Ellison | Harvard Forest". harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- "NSF Award Search: Award#9253743 - Presidential Faculty Fellow: Marine Environmental Ecology". www.nsf.gov. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- "PeerJ - Profile - Aaron Ellison (AMEllison)". peerj.com. Retrieved 2018-03-15.