Aaron Sillis (born August 1983) is an English dancer and choreographer who has worked in many fields of dance, most notably working with leading international pop artists including Rihanna, Katy Perry, FKA twigs, Justin Bieber, Kylie Minogue, Take That, Mariah Carey, Leona Lewis, Nicole Scherzinger, Stereophonics, Robbie Williams, Pet Shop Boys, Goldfrapp, Tom Vek, Kele Okereke, Cheryl Cole, Sugababes, Victoria Beckham, The Wanted and Emma Bunton.
Life and career
Sillis was born in August 1983, in Drayton, near Norwich in Norfolk, England. He began studying dance at the age of 14 at the Central School of Performing Arts in Norwich and at 16 he continued into professional vocational training in dance and musical theatre at Bird College in Sidcup, Kent. He graduated from the college in 2002 with the National Diploma in Professional Dance.
In 2008, Sillis created the lead role of the photographer Basil Hallward in a dance adaptation of the novel The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Choreographed by Matthew Bourne, the production premiered at the Edinburgh Festival and won the Herald Angel Award, which is presented in conjunction with the Bank of Scotland and recognising excellence at the festival. The production subsequently opened in London at the Sadler's Wells Theatre and was nominated for the Dance Europe Award for Outstanding Company and for the Whatsonstage Award for Best Choreography. Individually, Sillis was nominated for the Spotlight Award for Male Artist (Modern) at the National Dance Awards and was nominated for and won the Breakthrough Award presented by The Times newspaper at the 2009 South Bank Show Awards.
- The Most Incredible Thing - Created the role of Leo, The Creator. World Premiere at Sadler's Wells Theatre, composed by Pet Shop Boys, directed & choreographed by Javier de Frutos. The story was adapted by Matthew Dunster and also starred Ivan Putrov
- Shoes - World Premiere at Sadler's Wells Theatre, composed by Richard Thomas, directed & choreographed by Stephen Mear, with additional choreography by Aletta Collins, Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, Kate Prince & Mark Smith.
- In The Spirit of Diaghilev: The Eternal Damnation Of Sancho & Sanchez - Created the role of David VII. World Premiere at Sadler's Wells Theatre, choreography by Javier de Frutos
- Dorian Gray - Created the role of Basil Hallward. World Premiere at the Edinburgh Festival, also at Sadler's Wells Theatre and touring, choreography by Matthew Bourne
- Swan Lake - Performed the pas de deux as 'The Prince' with Richard Winsor as 'The Swan', from the 1995 production by Matthew Bourne, at the 10th anniversary gala of the new Sadler's Wells theatre & Sadler's Wells Sampled
- Viva La Diva - Cast member of the concert tour starring Katherine Jenkins and Darcey Bussell CBE
- The Car Man - Danced the roles of Rocco & Vito, covered & played Angelo at the Sadler's Wells theatre and on tour, choreography by Matthew Bourne
- Movin' Out - Danced in the ensemble, covered & played James, & understudy Eddie in the West End theatre production at the Apollo Victoria Theatre, production choreographed and staged by Twyla Tharp
- Ducktastic - Assistant choreographer for the West End production at the Albery Theatre, production directed by Kenneth Branagh
- Nutcracker! - Danced in the ensemble as Liquorice Man, covered & played the principal role Fritz/Prince Bon-Bon at the Sadler's Wells Theatre and on tour, choreography by Matthew Bourne
- BBC Norfolk feature article on Aaron Sillis
- aron Sillis featured in the graduate section of the Bird College website
- Herald Angel Award - list of winners for 2008[permanent dead link]
- Dance Europe Award for Outstanding Company
- Whatsonstage Theatregoers Choice Awards 2009
- Spotlight Award for Male Artist (Modern) Archived August 4, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- ITV South Bank Show Awards - Official winners list 2009
- Article citing South Bank Show award win