The founder of the family was Abul Abbas Fursowicz Krzeczowski, the co-owner of Krzeczowice, who is mentioned in 1565 and 1569. His sons were Józef, Suleiman, Eliasz i Ahmet Abbas-Kanowicze, who are mentioned in a royal document from 1631. Ahmet's son was Janusz known as Abakanowicz, whereas Janusz's son was Jerzy. It is assumed, that Jerzy (Jur) converted to Catholicism, because documents indicate that from the time of Jerzy Jurewicz Abakanowicz, the lord of Podruksze-Lachowszczyzna rodzina the family is documented as professing Roman Catholicism.
In the rolls of nobility in the Kovno Governorate in the years 1849 and 1860 Michał, Ignacy and Jan, the sons of Kazimierz, and the grandchildren of Jerzy, lord of Podruksze-Lachowszczyzna are listed.
It was borne by at least three notable personalities:
- Bruno Abakanowicz (1852-1900), a 19th-century engineer, mathematician and inventor
- Lt.Col. Piotr Abakanowicz (Barski; 1890-1948), an officer of the Polish Army
- Magdalena Abakanowicz (b. 1930), an artist
- A. Boniecki, Herbarz polski, t. 1, Warszawa 1899, s. 17.
- S. Uruski, Rodzina. Herbarz szlachty polskiej, t. 1, Warszawa 1904, s. 1.
- S. Dziadulewicz, Herbarz rodzin tatarskich, Wilno 1929, s. 365.
|This page or section lists people with the surname Abakanowicz. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|