This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Abbas Husain is a Pakistani scholar who has directed the Teachers' Development Centre since 1997. He is one of the founders of the Society of Pakistan English Language Teachers (SPELT) and has published in national and international journals.
Teachers' Development Centre
As director of the Teachers' Development Centre he has conducted the Master Teacher's Course since 1997 and has so far contributed 289 teacher trainers to the national pool of trainers. Of them 62 have achieved leadership positions in their respective institutions. He is invited by Roots School System to their Annual Teacher’s Development Conference, as well as the Sindh Education Foundation for keynotes and Seminar Papers.
The Teachers' Development Centre has been a significant contributor to a variety of training needs and services. The Aga Khan Foundation, CBORC, Sindh Education Foundation, Notre Dame Institute of Education, The City School Network, The Beaconhouse School System, The Defence Housing Authority School Network, Cadet College Petaro, have all invited the Director for an ongoing dialogue on improved education in Pakistan.
Husain has given public lectures in London (2001) and Houston (2002), presented regular speaking invitations from different organisations and institutions, and made television appearances on various leading television channels in Pakistan elaborating on the Quranic text in urban Pakistan.
Husain has appeared on GEO, Indus, Dawn News, HUM, and AAJ News.
He has been invited as an Islamic scholar for private and public gatherings on religious occasions since 1998.
Having attended various international conferences such as Voices of Wisdom in Pretoria, South Africa, in 2005, Husain concluded a digital video conferences project titled Passing on Islam with the Islamic Society of North America conducted for and by teachers and educators in Pakistan and the United States. In 2006, he addressed the seminar Islam and the Modern World in Islamabad with the President General Pervez Musharraf as the chief guest. From 2009 to date, he has regularly been conducting a Quranic Study Circle in Karachi. He was member of Faiz Ahmed Faiz Centennial Committee.
In 2010, he was also involved in gender sensitization workshops for the legal community in Pakistan catering to prison officials, judges and lawyers, under the leadership of Justice Nasir Aslam Zahid. He conducted workshops for jails wardens and superintendents’ and officers of the judiciary regularly.
Youth Development Program
Husain has been active in the Benazir Bhutto Shaheed Youth Development Program  (training 375 educators at the Colleges of Education all over Sindh). The Teachers’ Development Centre is a partner with the British Council in their Connecting Classrooms Project.
Publications and research
Having co-authored three textbooks of Islamiat and having been published by Oxford University Press in Pakistan, his major contribution is his complete study of the Quran in English, completed after six years in 2002, which according to him is "an intelligent faith-based interpretation of the Quran with a keen eye for the challenges and contradictions of modernity."
- The Variety of Verbosity in Pakistan in World Englishes'', Vol. 11, No. 1, March 1992, at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign.
- Al Islam- three textbooks for classes 6, 7 and 8: (with Khurram Shafiq) published by Oxford University Press Urdu, 1996
- Sindh Textbook Board English Book for class 7.
- Poems included in An Anthology of Pakistani Poetry, issued on the Golden Jubilee of Pakistan, Oxford University Press, 1997
At present he is Visiting Faculty at Department of Visual Studies, University of Karachi, ERDC and Institute of Business Management, in their MBA in Educational Management Course.
Qualifications and training experience
- M. A. in English Literature from University of Karachi, 1977
- M. Ed. in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) from Manchester University, 1986
- Lecturer/Assistant Professor (1983–1992) Department of English, University of Karachi.
- Senior Instructor (1993 to 1995) Institute for Educational Development, Aga Khan University, Karachi.
- Visiting Faculty Greenwich University 1996-1998
- Assistant Professor Department of English University of Karachi 1986-1992
- Tutor of Islamic Studies at Aga Khan University School of Nursing, from 1980 to 1999. During this time, he was responsible for the curriculum, the readings, the delivery of the lectures, and the assessments of the students.
- Consultant at PAF Finishing School for Women, PAF Base, Chaklala, 1996 to present. His major contribution is the Spiritual Enrichment class where he deals with a Model of Islam and offer ways of thinking about the Quran that are in consonance with the traditional sources and modernity. A description of the Model can be found in A Confirmed Vision, a paper read at the National Seminar Hazara Society of Science and Religious Dialogue, in September 2003.
- Visiting Faculty Institute of Business Administration 2003-2004
- Visiting Faculty Indus Valley School of Art and Architecture 2007 – 2009 (2 years) Pakistan
- Visiting Faculty Institute of Business Management (CBM)2011-Todate
Husain has attended educational development programs at the following:
- Boston College, 2010
- University of Illinois, Chicago, 1998 (American Studies)
- University of Louisville, Kentucky, 1996 (Portfolio Writing)
- University of Toronto, Canada, 1994 (Collegiality)
- University of Pittsburgh, 1994 (Classroom Management)
- 25th TESOL Conference, New York, USA, 1991
- University of California, MTC 2017
Selected training experience
- Centrality Of Environment For The ‘Articles Of Faith’ (Aqaid) In Islam
- Dawn in education, Blinck International Youth Day, on 12 August 2011
- Media Workshop, Hazard Awareness and disaster Reporting for Aga Khan Development Network and Focus Humanitarian Pakistan, 28 October 2011
- Reading the Quran Right on Gender International Women's Day 2011 organized by Working Group for Women Aga Khan University
- Social Research Methods, for AGA KHAN FOUNDATION, Tajikistan at Dushanbe, September 2005
- Workshop on 'Thinking Skills - Getting out of the box, not out of your mind for TCS'
- Workshop on Spiritually Intelligent Leader - The Growth of a Human Being at Festival of Learning 2009 Marriott Hotel Karachi organized by TerraBiz
- Workshop on "Money and The Meaning of Life" for TCS
- Workshop on Team Building for Memon Professional Forum Annual Report
- "Teachers' Development Centre, Karachi". Tdc.edu.pk. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "Society of Pakistan English Language Teachers (SPELT) :: The Official Website". SPELT. 19 October 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "Dr". Tariqrahman.net. 13 October 2001. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "Reflection: When teachers joined hands | Magazines". Dawn.Com. 9 October 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "SPELT moot discusses English learner's dreams and realities | Metropolitan". Dawn.Com. 16 October 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- Saadat, Suleman. "British Council: Dreams and realities launched to understand English and the people – The Express Tribune". Tribune.com.pk. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "Remembering Faiz: Jashn-e-Faiz in Karachi | Blog Row | Newsline". Newslinemagazine.com. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "Audios - Academy of Self Knowledge". Shaykh Fadhlalla Haeri. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "Leading News Resource of Pakistan". Daily Times. 26 February 2006. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "English Speaking Union of Pakistan (ESUP) ::: Programs". Esuponline.com. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "Welcome to BBSYDP || Benazir Bhutto Shaheed Youth Development Program". Bbsydpsindh.gov.pk. 15 July 2008. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "Outrageous State, Sectarianized Citizens:Deconstructing the 'Textbook Controversy' in the Northern Areas, Pakistan". Samaj.revues.org. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120405235446/http://www.ferozsons.com.pk/ListAuthorWithImages.php?val=2540. Archived from the original on 5 April 2012. Retrieved 1 November 2011. Missing or empty
- "(A Grooming Academy for Women)". PAF Finishing School. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "This website is currently unavailable". Razarumi.com. Archived from the original on 11 April 2012. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "Sidra Iqbal « DAWN in Education: the blog". Dawnineducation.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120401130313/http://www.doodhpatti.com/events/2231-details-Reading-the-Quran-Right-on-Gender--Speaker-Mr-Abbas-Husain%2C-Islamic-Scholar-and-Inspirational-Speaker-International-Womens-Day-2011.aspx. Archived from the original on 1 April 2012. Retrieved 5 November 2011. Missing or empty
- "Octara.com : Newsletter" (PDF). Tcscouriers.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- "Connect : TCS Customer Newsletter" (PDF). Tcs.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on 26 April 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- "Memon Professional Forum". MPF. Retrieved 2013-09-21.