Abbe David Lowell (born c. 1952) is an American defense attorney who was Chief Minority Counsel to Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives during the impeachment of Bill Clinton in the Lewinsky scandal.
Lowell worked in the U.S. Department of Justice, including a stint as an assistant to Attorney General Benjamin Civiletti.[when?] He has been an adjunct professor of law at Georgetown Law Center and Columbia University.[when?]
Lowell has defended political figures including John Edwards, Jim Wright, Dan Rostenkowski, Charles Keating, and Gary Condit former Nevada Governor Jim Gibbons, U.S. Rep. Joseph McDade and lobbyist Jack Abramoff.
Lowell is head of the Development Committee and a Trustee of The Shakespeare Theatre and is an active member of the Jewish Community, serving as Vice President and General Counsel of the Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington.
- "Counsel Lowell: A Defender Of Democrats in Trouble". Washingtonpost.com. 1998-10-06. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- "A Talk with Jack Abramoff's Attorney". Businessweek.com. 2005-04-22. Archived from the original on 2005-04-23. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "Defense Attorney Abbe D. Lowell". Times Union. 29 October 2009. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- "Abbe D. Lowell". Huffingtonpost.com. 2009-05-30. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "Georgetown Law - Abbe David Lowell - J.D. Adjunct Faculty". Law.georgetown.edu. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "Key witness in Edwards' trial Young grilled again by defense lawyer". Fox News. 2010-04-07. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "Condit hires lawyer who aided Clinton / Abbe Lowell to advise on intern case". Sfgate.com. 2001-06-23. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Archibold, Randal C. (2008-11-03). "Governor of Nevada Is Cleared in an Inquiry on Gifts, His Lawyer Says". The New York Times.
- "McDade Seeks Specter Records To Try To Prove Conflict Of Interest". 1992-06-11. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- Gerstein, Josh (2011-02-03). "Alleged State Department leaker fights charges - Josh Gerstein". Politico.Com. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "Legal Tangle Tightens Around WikiLeaks, Julian Assange | PBS NewsHour | Dec. 7, 2010". PBS. 2010-12-07. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "White Collar Litigator Abbe D. Lowell Rejoins Chadbourne - Chadbourne & Parke LLP - News". Chadbourne.com. 2011-05-09. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-01-30. Retrieved 2013-01-30.