|Born||April 28, 1952|
Columbia Law School
Abbe David Lowell (born April 28, 1952) is an American defense attorney who has represented several high-profile defendants. Lowell has represented numerous high-profile political figures, including Bob Menendez, John Edwards, Jared Kushner, Jim Wright, Dan Rostenkowski, Charles Keating, Joseph McDade, Joe Bruno, Gary Condit, and Jim Gibbons, among others.
Lowell worked in the U.S. Department of Justice, including a stint as an assistant to Attorney General Benjamin Civiletti.[when?] He has been an adjunct professor of law at Georgetown Law Center and Columbia University.[when?] He is currently a partner at the firm of Winston & Strawn LLP. He has appeared in the media as a legal affairs expert.
Lowell has defended political figures including John Edwards, Jim Wright, Dan Rostenkowski, Charles Keating, Gary Condit, former Nevada Governor Jim Gibbons, U.S. Rep. Joseph McDade, lobbyist Jack Abramoff, and Sen. Bob Menendez. As of June 2017, Lowell is representing Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump in inquiries linked to Russia.
Political and civic activities
In 1982, Lowell ran unsuccessfully for the Maryland House of Delegates as a Democrat. Lowell is head of the Development Committee and a Trustee of The Shakespeare Theatre and is an active member of the Jewish Community, serving as Vice President and General Counsel of the Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington.
- "Counsel Lowell: A Defender Of Democrats in Trouble". Washingtonpost.com. 1998-10-06. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- "Defense Attorney Abbe D. Lowell". Times Union. 29 October 2009. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- "Abbe D. Lowell". Huffingtonpost.com. 2009-05-30. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "Herald-Journal - Google News Archive Search". News.google.com. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- "Georgetown Law - Abbe David Lowell - J.D. Adjunct Faculty". Law.georgetown.edu. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "Nationally Recognized White Collar Defense and Trial Attorney Joins Winston & Strawn". Winston & Strawn LLP. May 23, 2018.
- "Legal Tangle Tightens Around WikiLeaks, Julian Assange | PBS NewsHour | Dec. 7, 2010". PBS. 2010-12-07. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "A Talk with Jack Abramoff's Attorney". Businessweek.com. 2005-04-22. Archived from the original on 2005-04-23. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "Key witness in Edwards' trial Young grilled again by defense lawyer". Fox News. 2010-04-07. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "Trial Showdown Begins for Keating, Symbol of Thrift Debacle". Apnewsarchive.com. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- "Condit hires lawyer who aided Clinton / Abbe Lowell to advise on intern case". Sfgate.com. 2001-06-23. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Archibold, Randal C. (2008-11-03). "Governor of Nevada Is Cleared in an Inquiry on Gifts, His Lawyer Says". The New York Times.
- "McDade Seeks Specter Records To Try To Prove Conflict Of Interest". 1992-06-11. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- Wilber, Del Quentin (2017-09-11). "Both Parties Turn to Lawyer Lowell in High-Stakes Cases : WSJ".
- O'Brien, Brendan (June 27, 2017). "Trump son-in-law Kushner hires prominent trial lawyer: NYT". Reuters.
- Gerstein, Josh (2011-02-03). "Alleged State Department leaker fights charges - Josh Gerstein". Politico.Com. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Conway, Madeline (July 14, 2017). "Kushner lawyer Abbe Lowell taking over Russia case from Gorelick". Politico. Retrieved July 14, 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-01-30. Retrieved 2013-01-30.