General store in Abbeville
Location of Abbeville, Mississippi
|• Total||3.5 sq mi (9.0 km2)|
|• Land||3.5 sq mi (9.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||371 ft (113 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||430|
|• Density||120/sq mi (47/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0691642|
Abbeville was originally settled by pioneers from Abbeville, South Carolina in the 1830s. They lived in apparent peace with the local Chickasaw Indians, whose Chief Toby Tubby owned and operated a ferry along the Memphis-Oxford trade route.
In 1950 Abbeville had a population of 275.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 3.5 square miles (9.1 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 419 people and 166 occupied housing units in the town. The racial and ethnic makeup of the town was 89.7% non-Hispanic White, 8.8% African American, 1.0% reporting from two or more races with 0.5% of the population Hispanic or Latino.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
The Town of Abbeville is served by the Lafayette County School District.
The University of Mississippi also owns and operates the University of Mississippi Field Station, which is located in Abbeville. It is a natural laboratory used to study, research and teach about sustainable freshwater ecosystems.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Abbeville has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- Gallagher, John S. and Patera, Alan H. (1996) Mississippi Post Offices, p. 91. Lake Grove, Oregon: The Depot, ISBN 0-943645-35-2
- Encyclopædia Britannica Atlas, 1959 Edition, p. 298.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- 2010 census report of Abbeville Archived May 20, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Climate Summary for Abbeville, Mississippi