Abbey Theatre School
The Abbey Theatre School or the Abbey School of Acting, was a specialty school of the Abbey Theatre, Dublin, Ireland. It was established in 1911 by W.B. Yeats:59 and further developed by Lady Gregory to continue performances in Dublin while the main cast was overseas in America.
The first director of the school was the theatre director Nugent Monck, who was requested to begin the school by Yeats.:59 The first play performed by the school was The Countess Cathleen, also written by Yeats.
The school was the primary place that amateur actors could receive training in acting before breaking onto the professional circuit. In the beginning the plays were performed in the Abbey Theatre, but in 1927 was moved to the newly constructed Peacock Theatre that was located on the first floor of the Abbey Theatre.:138
The school was not in continuous operation and was revived many times, according to Tomás MacAnna.:278, 284, 286 One brief period was the years 1967–1970, when Frank Dermody attempted to revive it, but it was closed after a number of complaints.:236
Early productions featuring the Abbey School of Acting
- The Annunciation by Anon. 4 January 1912:73
- The Land of Heart's Desire by W.B. Yeats. 22, 23, 24 February 1912:74
- The World and the Chylde by Anon. 29 February 1912:74
- Welch, Robert (2003). The Abbey Theatre, 1899-1999: Form and Pressure. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199261352. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- "New School of Acting opens at the Abbey Theatre". National Library of Ireland Archives. RTE and Boston College. 21 February 1914. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- "Colm Meaney (Actor) Training Spotlight". The Irish Film & Television Network. 21 September 2007. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- Hunt, Hugh (1979). The Abbey, Ireland's National Theatre, 1904-1978. Columbia University Press. ISBN 9780231049061.
- Yeats, William Butler (2010). William O'donnell, Douglas Archibald, ed. Autobiographies: The Collected Works of W.B. Yeats. 3. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 9781451603033. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- Lonergan, Patrick; O'Dwyer, Riana (2007). Echoes Down the Corridor. Peter Lang. ISBN 9781904505259. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- Auld, Tim (25 March 2016). "Stephen Rea: 'I never wanted to be a polite actor'". The Telegraph. Retrieved 22 March 2018.
- Mikhail, E. H. (1988). The Abbey Theatre: Interviews and Recollections. Rowman & Littlefield. ISBN 9780389206163.
- Chambers, Lilian (2001). Theatre Talk: Voices of Irish Theatre Practitioners. Peter Lang. ISBN 9780953425761. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- Ritschel, Nelson O'Ceallaigh (2001). Productions of the Irish Theatre Movement, 1899-1916: A Checklist. Greenwood Publishing Group. ISBN 9780313317446. Retrieved 19 September 2015.