Abbeydale Grange School
|Abbeydale Grange School|
|Motto||‘Excellence, Achievement, Diversity’|
|Local authority||City of Sheffield|
|Department for Education URN||107137 Tables|
|Head teacher||Jan Featherstone (Executive Headteacher)|
|Age||11 to 16|
|Houses||Air, Earth, Fire and Water|
Abbeydale Grange School was a mixed comprehensive school in Sheffield, England, established in 1958 and closed after the 2009/10 academic year, after being listed amongst the schools with worst GCSE examination results.
The school was set in a green site off Abbeydale Road (part of the A621), a short bus journey from Sheffield city centre. It served both the local area and the wider city community.
The Upper School was north of the Lower School site.
The Lower School site closed in July 2010, and was adjacent, to the south of the Upper School site.
The school originated in 1958 as Abbeydale Boy's Grammar School. The school had a strong academic reputation. The building of this school had begun in 1956 and was the replacement for Nether Edge Grammar School which had been founded in 1927
This school originated in 1966,a replacement for Nether Edge Grammar school for boys.It became Abbeydale Grange Comprehensive School in 1969 The school became a mixed school at that time by joining with Abbeydale Grammar school for girls.
It became a comprehensive in 1969. The school closed in 2010 because of the low exam results.
- Sebastian Coe (Now Baron Coe, of Ranmore) - multi-gold medal-winning Olympic athlete and former chair of the UK Olympic Committee
- Kevin Davies - English football player who is currently a free agent
- Gerald Phiri - Zambian 100 m sprinter who qualified for the semi-finals of the London 2012 Olympic Games
- Si Spencer - television dramatist and graphic novelist
Abbeydale Boys' Grammar School
- Paul Blomfield, Labour MP since 2010 for Sheffield Central
- Dr Peter Briggs OBE, chief executive from 1990 to 2002 of the British Association for the Advancement of Science (since 2009 known as the British Science Association), and principal from 2002 to 2009 of Southlands College, Roehampton
- Sir Keith Povey, HM Chief Inspector of Constabulary from 2002 to 2005, chief constable from 1993 to 1997 of Leicestershire Constabulary
- Peter Wheeler (TVR), chemical engineer
Abbeydale Girls' Grammar School
- Sue Biggs, chief executive since 2010 of the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS)
- Lorna Binns, watercolour artist
- Valerie Howarth, Baroness Howarth of Breckland OBE, founder director from 1987 to 2001 of ChildLine
- Margaret Spurr OBE, president from 1985 to 1986 of the Girls' Schools Association, and a governor from 1993 to 1998 of the BBC
Nether Edge Grammar School
- Sir Leslie Fletcher DSC, chairman from 1989 to 1994 of Westland Group and from 1992 to 1995 of the Rank Organisation
- Jack Smith, artist
- Bob Stirling, rugby player
- Prof Charles Tottle, professor of medical engineering from 1975 to 1978 at the University of Bath, professor of metallurgy from 1959 to 1967 at the University of Manchester
- Thomas Ward, artist
Abbeydale Secondary Modern School
- Susan Horner, director of curriculum from 2009 to 2010 at the QCA, now the Qualifications and Curriculum Development Agency (English teacher from 1974 to 1979)
- Eileen Stamers-Smith, headmistress from 1984 to 1985 of Malvern Girls' College (taught English at the girls' grammar school from 1952 to 1957)
- BBC: Secondary school closes for good, 20 July 2010. School closed in July 2010 to all except final year pupils.
- BBC: The worst GCSE-level results, January 2009