Abdallah Bin Bayyah
|Abdullah bin Bayyah|
|Born||1935 (age 80–81)
Timbédra, Mauritania (then French West Africa)
He is a specialist in all four traditional Sunni schools, with an emphasis on the Maliki Madh'hab. Currently he is the President of the Forum for Promoting Peace in Muslim Societies. Bin Bayyah is involved in number of scholarly councils including The Islamic Fiqh Council, a Saudi-based Institute, he was also the Vice-President of International Union of Muslim Scholars. from which he resigned mid 2013. He is also a member of the Dublin-based European Council for Fatwa and Research, a council of Muslim clerics that aims at explaining Islamic law in a way that is sensitive to the realities of European Muslims.
Bin Bayyah was born in Timbédra in a household with an Islamic environment in which he studied all of the Islamic sciences. He began his formal studies with his father, the judge Shaykh Mahfoudh; meanwhile, he studied Arabic with Shaykh Mohammed Salem bin al-Sheen, Quran with Shaykh Bayyah bin al-Salik al-Misumi.[better source needed]
In his youth, he was appointed to study legal judgments in Tunis. On returning to Mauritania, he became Minister of Education and later Minister of Justice. He was also appointed a Vice President of the first president of Mauritania. He resides in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and teaches Islamic Legal Methodology, Qur'an and Arabic at the King Abdulaziz University. He is fluent in Arabic and French. Hamza Yusuf serves as his translator.
Bin Bayyah is said by some Sufis to be a scholar of uṣūl al-fiqh (Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence) today and have competency in all four Sunni juridical schools. Some Muslims look upon him as one of the symbols of moderation and centrism. The West, and especially Western government, has taken his views and fatawas as a source and reference for Muslim minorities living in those countries. His viewpoints are characterized by seeking to adapt Islamic legal theory to the realities of the contemporary age, which enable him to find solutions to the emerging obstacles in the path of the modern Muslim.
- The Craft of the Fatwa and minority fiqh, 2005.
- A dialogue about human rights in Islam, 2003.
- Ideological opinions (فتاوى فكرية)
- Amaly al-Dalalat (Usul alfiqh), 2003.
- Terrorism: a Diagnosis and Solutions
- The Discourse of Security in Islam and the Culture of Tolerance and Harmony
- Fatwas and Reflections
- A clarification on the various legal opinions pertaining to financial transactions
- The Benefits of Endowments
- Evidence for those suffering from illnesses on the immense Divine award that awaits them
- Aims and their Proof
Responsibilities and positions
- Director of the Global Center for Renewal & Guidance, UK
- Member of the European Research & Fatwa Council, Ireland
- Deputy President of the International Association of Muslim Scholars, Beirut
- Member of the Association of Indian Jurists, Delhi
- Member of The Royal Aal al-Bayt Institute for Islamic Thought, Jordan
- Member of the Counsel of Jurists attached to the Organisation of Islamic Conference, Jeddah
- Member of the Specialist Panel presiding over the Prince Naif ben Abdul Aziz prize for Prophetic Traditions and Islamic Studies
- Member of the Muslim League’s International High Council of Mosques, Mecca
- Member of the International Aid Organisation of Kuwait
- Member of the Lecturing Staff at the King Abdul Aziz University in Jeddah
- Member of the High Council in the Centre for Studying the Aims of Sharia, UK
Medals and awards
- Awarded the King Abdul Aziz Medal with the Rank of Distinction
- Awarded the Jordanian Medal First Degree
- Awarded the King Abdullah II of Jordan Prize for Scholars and Callers to God, Jordan
- The Degree of the Organisation of Islamic Conference with Distinction, and others
- Awarded the Chinguetti Prize for the Category of Islamic Studies for his book “A Dialogue from Afar”
- John Gallagher, Eric D. Patterson, Debating the War of Ideas, p 51. ISBN 0230101984
- Gerhard Böwering, Patricia Crone, Mahan Mirza, The Princeton Encyclopedia of Islamic Political Thought, p. 347. ISBN 0691134847
- John Gallagher, Eric D, Debating the War of Ideas, p 51. ISBN 0230101984
- "Forum for Promoting Peace in Muslim Societies".
- Members list (Arabic)
- "404". elkhabar.com.
- List of Members of the European Council for Fatwa and Research
- ar:عبد الله بن بيه
- Imams Online: "Abdallah bin Bayyah" retrieved September 20, 2015
- Bin Bayyah's official reply to Amman Message
- "Prominent Muslim Sheik Issues Fatwa Against ISIS Violence". September 25, 2014.
- "500 Most Influential Muslims". December 8, 2013.
- Gerhard Böwering, Patricia Crone, Mahan Mirza, The Princeton Encyclopedia of Islamic Political Thought, p 347. ISBN 0691134847
- "Bio". binbayyah.net.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Abdallah Bin Bayyah.|
- Abdallah bin Bayyah's Official Website (Arabic)
- A Biography of Abdallah bin Bayyah from the Deen Intensive Foundation
- With the Shaykh
- Muslims Living in Non-Muslim Lands, by Shaykh Abdallah bin Bayyah
- Muslim scholars recast jihadists' favorite fatwa
- Shaikh Bin Bayyah and Bill Gates discuss the "Global Polio Eradication Initiative" at Abu Dhabi's Vaccine Summet