|Professor Emeritus Dr.
Sulayman Abdallah Sharif Schleifer
Brooklyn, New York
|Alma mater||B.A., University of Pennsylvania, Political Science, 1956
M.A., American University of Beirut, Political Studies, 1980
|Years active||1970 - present|
|Employer||the American University in Cairo|
Foreign Policy Research Institute,
Royal Aal al-Bayt Institute for Islamic Thought,
S. Abdallah S. Schleifer (born Marc Schleifer, 1935) is a prominent Middle East expert; a senior fellow at the Foreign Policy Research Institute (United States) and at the Royal Aal al-Bayt Institute for Islamic Thought (Jordan).
A former NBC Cairo Bureau chief (1974 - 1983), Schleifer also served as the Al Arabiya News bureau chief in Washington D.C. (2006 - 2007) and currently writes periodic columns for their website. He is the chief editor of the annual publication The 500 Most Influential Muslims.
His career in journalism in the Middle East began in 1965, when he served as the first managing editor of The Jerusalem Star, an English-language Jordanian newspaper that has since changed its name to The Palestine News. In 1967, Schleifer became an editorial assistant and then a special correspondent for the New York Times in Jerusalem and then in Amman, and, from 1968-1972, the Middle East correspondent of Jeune Afrique.
He is professor emeritus and senior fellow at the Kamal Adham Center for Journalism Training and Research, at the American University in Cairo - which he founded, and for which he served as its first director (1985 - 2005).
Born Mark Schleifer to a secular Jewish family on Long Island, he received his BA in Political Science from the University of Pennsylvania in 1956 where he was involved in Marxist movements. He is a convert to Sufi Islam.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-03-28. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- Terence Diggory, Encyclopedia of the New York School Poets (Infobase Publishing, 2009: ISBN 0-8160-5743-5), p. 274.
- "S. Abdallah Schleifer". Foreign Policy Research Institute.
- Control Room (2004) - Full Cast & Crew at the Internet Movie Database
- "Al-Qaeda's remaining leaders". BBC News. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- Lawrence Wright (2006). The Looming Tower. Knopf. pp. Chapter 2. ISBN 0-375-41486-X.
- "Prof. S. Abdallah Schleifer - American University of Cairo". Archived from the original on March 28, 2014. Retrieved March 27, 2014.