Abdel Kader (song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Song by Khaled from the album 'N'ssi N'ssi'|
Khaled Hadj Brahim
|Single by Rachid Taha, Khaled and Faudel|
|from the album 1,2,3 Soleils|
|Released||November 9, 1998|
|Recorded||September 26, 1998|
Khaled Hadj Brahim
|Certification||Silver (France) |
"Abdel Kader" (Arabic: عبد القادر) is an Algerian traditional song made famous by the Algerian raï artist Khaled. It is featured on his 1993 studio album N'ssi N'ssi. After his 1993 original album version, Khaled released a solo live version of "Abdel Kader" in his live album Hafla in 1998.
The song gained further popularity after the live performance at Palais omnisports de Paris-Bercy by Khaled, Rachid Taha and Faudel. The joint trio live version was included on the 1998 live album 1,2,3 Soleils.
The live version by Rachid Taha, Khaled and Faudel was released as a separate single in France reaching #6 in the SNEP, the official French Singles Chart. The song stayed in for 21 consecutive weeks in the French charts in the period November 1998 to March 1999, with 10 weeks of those in the Top 10. It stayed at #6 for the two weeks ending 5 and 12 December 1998.
|Belgian (Wallonia) Singles Chart||36|
|French SNEP Singles Chart||6|
Covers and samplings
The song has been subject to many covers and remixes and is popular in live performances of many Algerian artists.
The music of "Abdel Kader" has been used with new lyrics and slightly amended music adaptations in other songs. One of the most notable of these is "Mon Bled" by Rohff, Mohamed Lamine and Cheba Maria. The track appears in the inaugural release of the Raï'n'B Fever series in 2004 produced by Kore & Scalp.
Various songs have also sampled on parts of the song, notably:
- Cameron Cartio used a sample in his Persian language version of "Mi Chica" and Sarbel in the Greek language version of the same song.
- Arash sampled it in his bilingual Persian/English song "Suddenly" featuring Rebecca Zadig in Arash's 2008 album Donya
- Najim and Arash reused the sample in their 2009 trilingual French/Persian/English adaptation of "Suddenly" retitled "Près de toi (Suddenly)" also featuring Rebecca.
- `Abd al-Qādir al-Jazā'irī, the leader of the Zaouia (tariqa, group of followers) of Abdul-Qadir Gilani in Algeria
- Abdul-Qadir Gilani, Persian Hanbali jurist and Sufi based in Baghdad
- Abdul Qadir (disambiguation)