Abdel Rahman el-Abnudi
Abdel Rahman el-Abnudi
عبد الرحمن الأبنودي
|Born||11 April 1938|
|Died||21 April 2015(aged 77)|
Abdel Rahman el-Abnudi (Egyptian Arabic: عبد الرحمن الأبنودي, 11 April 1938 – 21 April 2015) was a popular Egyptian poet, and later a children's books writer. He was one of a generation of poets who favored to write their work in the Egyptian dialect (in Abnudi's case, Upper Egyptian dialect) rather than Standard Arabic, the formal language of the state. This literary stance was associated with a militant political engagement: Abnudi and other Egyptian writers of this school sought to make their literary production part of the process of political development and movement towards popular democracy in Egypt. He married the former President of the Egyptian Television Network and television presenter and interviewer Nehal Kamal, and they had two children: Aya and Nour.
Many of his works have been set to music by composers including Ezz Eddin Hosni and performed by popular singers such as Abd El Halim, Nagat el Saghera, Shadia, Sabah, Majida El Roumi, Mohamed Mounir and others. 
- El-Moot 'ala El-asfalt ( Death on the Asphalt) - named in the top 100 African books of the 20th century at the 2001 Zimbabwe International Book Fair.
Most famous poetry
- The allowed and prohibited
- Death on the asphalt
- Charged with forest cat
- Earth and the children
- The silence of the bell
Songs for many singers
- Abdel Halim Hafez: Your son is proud of you (Egyptian Arabic: "Ebnak Yoalak Ya Batal"), Every Time I Say I Repent (Et Touba), Love is Mine (El Hawa Hawaya), The Embracement of Lovers (Ahdan EL Habayeb), The Day Has Passed (Adda El Nahar), The Christ (El Maseeh) and many other songs.
- Mohamed Rushdie: Under The Trees (Taht El Shagar).
- Najat Al Saghira: The Eyes of The Heart (Eyon EL Alb).
- Shadia: Ya Asmarany el loon .
- Sabah (singer) : Sometimes (Saat Saat).
- Warda Al-Jazairia: Lovers of course (Tabaan Ahbab).
- Majida El Roumi: From Beirut (Mn Bairout), I love you Egypt (Bahoaki Ya Masr).
- Mohamed Mounir: Chocolate (Shokolata), All Things Reminds me (Kol EL Hagat), I am not Innocent (Msh Baryi2), Outside Windows (Barrah EL Shababeek), A Summer Moon (Amar Seify), Younis, My Heart doesn't seem like me (Alby Mayshbehnish), Oh Bird (Ya Hamam)
- Cairokee: Ehna el shaab (We are the People)
- El Masry, E., "Egyptian Poet Abdel Rahman El-Abnudi Passes Away At The Age Of 76" [Obituary], Egyptian Streets, 21 April, 2015 Online:
- , English Article titled “Who is Najat Al Saghira? “, 2015, Accessed 2015/08/28.