This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Abdelkader Benchamma (born 1975) is a French artist who lives and works in Montpellier.
In 2011, Benchamma participated in the Future of a Promise exhibition for Arab artists which took place on Zaterre at the same time as the Venice Biennale. He was commissioned for the Told Untold Retold exhibition at the Mathaf Museum, Doha, Qatar. In July 2012 he had a solo exhibition of ultra-detailed pen drawings, Corrupted Theories, at the Gallery Isabelle van den Eynde, Dubai.
Benchamma creates delicately executed drawings of states of matter, events and explosions animated by a wide range of dynamics. He is strongly influenced by theories of astrophysics and cosmology, as well as existentialist theatre and literary investigations.
Benchamma explores natural and primordial forms of matter. In his series of ‘Sculpture’ drawings, the monolithic forms and piles develop organically on the page. Suggestions of organic and mineral forms emerge in the fluid patterns, recalling the strength of mountain landscapes or planes of greenery. For the series, Benchamma restricted himself to using only black marker pens, coloring in varying shades of black.
While Benchamma’s central focus is drawing, he develops ideas into sculpture, furthering his conceptual questioning of reality. In ‘Sculpture, More or Less’, a wooden parquet floor breaks with all the material properties of a sheet of glass, shattering in a way that the viewer only notices when standing up close to the work. The technical behavior of the natural materials, wood and glass, are manipulated and decontextualized to create a surreal and spectacular illusion.
He has had solo exhibitions across Europe as well as in Asia, and has works in public collections, namely the FRAC Languedoc-Roussillon, the Musee de Beaux Arts-Orleans, and Artotheque de Pessac in France. Benchamma is represented by Gallery Isabelle van den Eynde, Dubai.
- "The Future of a Promise". The Future of a Promise. Archived from the original on October 23, 2013. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- "Echoes of Political Unrest at Venice Biennale". The New York Times. May 25, 2011. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- "Told/Untold/Retold at Mathaf Arab Museum of Modern Art in Doha / Qatar". Blip. December 30, 2010. Archived from the original on November 6, 2013. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- Christopher Lord (July 23, 2012). "Abdelkader Benchamma's dizzying pace of change". The National. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- "FRAC Languedoc-Roussillon". FRAC Languedoc-Roussillon. December 16, 2007. Archived from the original on October 6, 2013. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- "Les arts au mur Artothèque de Pessac: L'Artotheque Fete Ses Cinq Ans Et Presente Ses Nouvelles Acquisitions". Pessac: Centre national des arts plastiques. November 2007. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- "Home - Gallery Isabelle van den Eynde". Gallery Isabelle van den Eynde. Retrieved October 22, 2013.