Abdul Azeez Abdul Rahim
Abdul Azeez Abdul Rahim
அப்துல் அஸீஸ் அப்துல் ரஹீம்
|Chairperson of Tabung Haji (TH)|
1 July 2013 – 14 May 2018
|Prime Minister||Najib Razak |
|Preceded by||Abi Musa Asa'ari Mohamed Nor|
|Succeeded by||Mohammed Nor Md Yusof|
|Member of the Malaysian Parliament|
|Assumed office |
5 May 2013
|Preceded by||Taib Azamudden Md Taib (PAS-PR)|
Abdul Azeez bin Abdul Rahim
19 November 1966
|Political party||United Malay National Organisation (UMNO)|
|Barisan Nasional (BN)|
|Spouse(s)||Khadijah Mohd Noor|
Datuk Seri Panglima Abdul Azeez bin Abdul Rahim (Jawi: عبدالعزيز بن عبدالرحيم, Tamil: அப்துல் அஸீஸ் பின் அப்துல் ரஹீம், romanized: Aptul asīs piṉ aptul rahīm; born 19 November 1966) is a Malaysian politician currently serving as the Member of Parliament (MP) of Malaysia for the seat of Baling in the state of Kedah. He is a member of United Malay National Organisation (UMNO), a major component of the Barisan Nasional (BN) coalition. Due to his South Indian descent, he speaks fluent Tamil in addition to Malay and English.
In 2011 Abdul Azeez became a director of Tabung Haji (TH), a Malaysian fund for Muslims to save for the hajj pilgrimage. In 2013, after his election to Parliament, he became Tabung Haji's chairman. However in 2018, after his reelection as member of parliament and the change of ruling government to Pakatan Harapan (PH), he resigned as chairman of Tabung Haji.
Azeez also founded and headed the Putera 1Malaysia Club (Kelab Putera 1Malaysia), a non-government organization that has, among other things, led humanitarian missions to Gaza. In 2012 Hamas appointed him as an honorary ambassador for Palestine.
Abdul Azeez was elected to UMNO's Supreme Council, the body that governs the party, in 2009. He was the 25th and final candidate elected. He was re-elected to the Supreme Council in 2013, this time finishing in seventh place. He formerly headed "Putera UMNO", a group for young members of UMNO when he was the EXCO member of UMNO Youth.
Azeez was chosen as the Barisan Nasional (BN) candidate for the seat of Baling at the 2008 election. He lost to the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS) candidate, Taib Azamudden Md Taib, by 7,613 votes. The state of Kedah swung back to BN at the 2013 election, and Azeez, selected again as the BN candidate in Baling, was elected to Parliament. He was re-elected in the 2018 election.
Controversies and issues
On 22 May 2018, Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) raided and seized over RM500,000 in cash of various currencies, some documents, jewellery and luxury watches in several houses and offices in four states occupied by Azeez. In the midst of MACC investigation, Azeez announced he had tendered his resignation as the Tabung Haji's chairman on 14 May 2018.
The MACC arrested Azeez with his elder brother and cousin on 25 September 2018. Azeez was released on RM500,000 bail after his 10-day MACC remand ended. But MACC arrested his 24-year-old son the same day he was released.
Tabung Haji on 30 November 2018 reported to police against Azeez as its former chairman and senior management over alleged misuse of RM22 million belonging to a charitable fund for politically-linked activities.
The MACC again arrested Azeez and his brother on 15 January 2019 where he was charged with 3 counts of RM 5.2 million graft and 9 counts of RM 139.4 million money laundering totaling RM 144.6 million on the next day.
|2008||Abdul Azeez Abdul Rahim (UMNO)||28,461||44.10%||Taib Azamudden Md Taib (PAS)||36,074||55.90%||65,764||7,613||83.47%|
|2013||Abdul Azeez Abdul Rahim (UMNO)||43,504||53.17%||Najmi Ahmad (PAS)||38,319||46.86%||83,109||5185||89.20%|
|2018||Abdul Azeez Abdul Rahim (UMNO)||38,557||42.60%||Hassan Saad (PAS)||37,483||41.41%||92,128||1,074||85.93%|
|Mohd Taufik Yaacob (PPBM)||14,472||15.99%|
Honours of Malaysia
- Kedah :
- Knight Commander of the Order of Loyalty to Sultan Abdul Halim Mu'adzam Shah (DHMS) - Dato' Paduka (2017)
- Kelantan :
- Malacca :
- Pahang :
- Sabah :
- "The day Abdul Azeez and Manivannan made history". Malaysiakini. 4 October 2013. Retrieved 30 March 2019.
- "Baling MP Abdul Azeez is new Tabung Haji chair". The Malaysian Insider. 2 July 2013. Archived from the original on 4 December 2014. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "Azeez confirms he has quit as Tabung Haji chairman". Free Malaysia Today. 24 May 2018. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- "NGO declares Gaza mission a success". New Straits Times. 22 August 2014. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "Abdul Azeez appointed honorary ambassador for Palestine". The Malaysian Insider. 13 December 2012. Archived from the original on 4 December 2014. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "UMNO Election 2008 Results". Bernama. 26 March 2009. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "Umno polls: Results for VP and supreme council". The Star. 20 October 2013. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- Hamdan Raja Abdullah (14 February 2007). "35 Putra UMNO members begin parachute training". The Star. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "Maklumat Terperinci Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum 2013". Election Commission of Malaysia. Archived from the original on 21 December 2014. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- Bythecoverage (23 May 2018). "MACC Raid Tabung Haji Chief's UMNO Datuk Seri Abdul Azeez Abdul Rahim Home – Seize RM500,000 Cash And Documents". The Coverage. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- Muhammad Mustakim Ramli and Mohd Hasbi Sidek (23 May 2018). "MACC raids three properties linked to Azeez Rahim". New Straits Times. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- "Abdul Azeez resigns as Tabung Haji chairman". The Star. 23 May 2018. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- "MACC arrests Baling MP Azeez Abdul Rahim — report". Malaysiakini. The Edge Markets. 25 September 2018. Retrieved 25 September 2018.
- "Graft investigators digging into Abdul Azeez's past". The Star. 26 September 2018. Retrieved 26 September 2018.
- "Baling MP Abdul Azeez released on RM500,000 bail". Bernama. The Edge Markets. 5 October 2018. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- Mazwin Nik Anis (5 October 2018). "Baling MP Abdul Azeez released – but his son is arrested". The Star. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- Ida Lim (30 November 2018). "Tabung Haji's ex-chair Azeez, senior management named in alleged funds misuse probe". Malay Mail. Retrieved 4 December 2018.
- Nurbaiti Hamdan (16 January 2019). "Abdul Azeez hit with 12 counts of graft and money laundering (Updated)". The Star. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- "Malaysia Decides 2008". The Star. Archived from the original on 9 April 2008. Retrieved 25 January 2010. Percentage figures are calculated based on total turnout.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri" (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 4 February 2017. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "Malaysia General Election". undiinfo Malaysian Election Data. Malaysiakini. Retrieved 4 February 2017. Results only available from the 2004 election.
- "KEPUTUSAN PILIHAN RAYA UMUM 13". Sistem Pengurusan Maklumat Pilihan Raya Umum (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "my undi : Kawasan & Calon-Calon PRU13 : Keputusan PRU13 (Archived copy)". www.myundi.com.my. Archived from the original on 31 March 2014. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum ke-13". Utusan Malaysia. Archived from the original on 21 March 2018. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "SEMAKAN KEPUTUSAN PILIHAN RAYA UMUM KE - 14" (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 17 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "The Star Online GE14". The Star. Retrieved 24 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "Semakan Penerima Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang dan Pingat".
- "Raja Muda of Kedah heads state awards list". The Star. 15 January 2017. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- "Pengerusi Tabung Haji dikurnia SJMK" (in Malay). Utusan Malaysia. 13 November 2016. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "Kelantan palace revokes Azeez's datukship". N Faizal Ghazali. Malaysiakini. 11 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- "Dr Wee gets Malacca award". The Star. 10 October 2015. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "Legenda bola sepak terima darjah kebesaran" (in Malay). Utusan Malaysia. 24 October 2000. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "Abdul Azeez heads list of Sabah Award recipients". Bernama. The Star. 19 November 2014. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
|This article about a Malaysian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Malaysian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|