Abdul Halim (Arabic: عبد الحليم) is a male Muslim given name, and in modern usage, surname. It is built from the Arabic words Abd, al- and Halim. The name means "servant of the all-clement", Al-Halīm being one of the names of God in the Qur'an, which give rise to the Muslim theophoric names.
The letter a of the al- is unstressed, and can be transliterated by almost any vowel, often by u. So the first part can appear as Abdel, Abdul or Abd-al. The second part can be transliterated Halim, Haleem or Haliem, and the whole name subject to variable spacing and hyphenation.
It may refer to:
- Abdul Halim Sharar (1869 - 1926), Indian essayist and historian
- Abdel-Halim Mahmoud (1910 - 1978), Egyptian Grand Imam of Al Azhar
- Abdul Halim (Indonesia) (1911 - 1988), Prime Minister of Indonesia
- Abdul Halim Tokmakçioğlu (born 1913), Turkish Olympic fencer
- Abdul Halim of Kedah (born 1927), Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia
- Abdel Halim Hafez (1929 - 1977), Egyptian singer and actor
- Abdul Halim Jaffer Khan (born 1929), Indian sitar player
- Abd al-Halim Abu Ghazala (1930 - 2008), Egyptian soldier and politician
- Abdul Halim Khaddam (born 1932), Syrian politician
- Abdel-Halim Caracalla (born 1940), Lebanese dance company director
- Ahmad Fairuz Abdul Halim (born 1941), Chief Justice of the Federal Court of Malaysia
- M. H. A. Haleem (born 1956), Sri Lankan politician
- Abdul-Halim Sadulayev (1966 – 2006), President of the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria
- Abdul Halim Sadiqi (born ca. 1968), Pakistani prisoner in Guantanamo
- Sayed Abdul Halim Shah (born 1973), Bangladeshi cricketer
- Abdel Halim Ali (born 1973), Egyptian footballer
- Badrulzaman Abdul Halim (born 1978), Malaysian footballer
- Abdul Haleem Chaudhri (died 1971), Bengali cricketer
- Shareef Abdelhaleem (born ca. 1979), Egyptian-Canadian accused of terrorism
- Abdelhalim El-Kholti, known as Abdou El-Kholti (born 1980), Moroccan-French footballer
- Abdelhalim Ouradi (born 1981), Algerian boxer
- Ahmed Abdul-Haleem (born 1986), Jordanian footballer
- Abdul Khalim Atef Safadie (born 1990), Russian footballer
- Muhammad Abdel-Haleem, Egyptian academic working in London
- Abdul Halim Abdul Rahman, Malaysian politician
- Abdelmahmood Abdelhaleem, Sudanese diplomat
- Emad Abdelhalim Ali, Egyptian boxer
- Abdul Halim Haron, Singaporean bodybuilder
- Abdul Halim Khan, Pakistani politician, Muslim cleric.
- Aziza Abdel-Halim, President of the Muslim Women's National Network Australia
- Sultan Abdul Halim Airport, Kedah, Malaysia
- Sultan Abdul Halim Hospital, Kedah, Malaysia
- Sultan Abdul Halim Highway, Kedah, Malaysia
- SM Sultan Abdul Halim, school near Kedah, Malaysia
- Sultan Abdul Halim ferry terminal bridge collapse, 1988 disaster in Malaysia
- Salahuddin Ahmed (1999). A Dictionary of Muslim Names. London: Hurst & Company.
- S. A. Rahman (2001). A Dictionary of Muslim Names. New Delhi: Goodword Books.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name or the same family name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|