Abdul Jabbar (Arabic: عبد الجبار ) is a Muslim male given name, and in modern usage, surname. It is built from the Arabic words Abd, al- and Jabbar. The name means "servant of the All-compeller", Al-Jabbar being one of the names of God in the Qur'an, which give rise to the Muslim theophoric names.
The letter a of the al- is unstressed, and can be transliterated by almost any vowel, often by e. So the first part can appear as Abdel, Abdul or Abd-al. The second part may appear as Jabbar, Jabar or in other ways. The whole name is subject to variable spacing and hyphenation.
It may refer to:
People of faith
- Abd al-Jabbar ibn Ahmad (935–1025), Iraqi Qadi and religious author
- Abdel-Sattar Abdel-Jabbar, Iraqi cleric
- Abdul Jabbar (activist) (1919–1952), Bengali-language demonstrator
- Abdulwahid AlAbduljabbar (1935–1970), Saudi political prisoner
- Abdul Jalilul Jabbar, 17th-century sultan of Brunei
- Khan Abdul Jabbar Khan (1882–1958), Pakistani politician
- Abdul Jabbar Khan (1902–1984), Pakistani politician
- Abdul Jabbar Taqwa (born 1954), Afghan politician
- Abdul Jabbar Naeemi (b. 1967), Afghan politician
- Abdul Jabar Sabet, Afghan politician
- Al-Haj Mamur Abdul Jabar Shulgari, Afghan politician
- Abdul Jabbar Hassoon Jerri, known as Abdul Jerri (born 1932), Iraqi American physicist and mathematician
- Abdul Jabbar (Bengal cricketer) (born 1919), Indian cricketer
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (b. 1947), American basketball player
- Abdul Jabbar (Tamil Nadu cricketer) (1952), Indian Tamil Nadu cricketer
- Abdul-Jabar Hashim Hanoon (1970), Iraqi footballer who played defender
- Karim Abdul-Jabbar, a previous name of Abdul-Karim al-Jabbar (1974), American footballer
- Haidar Abdul-Jabar (1976), Iraqi footballer who plays defender
- Ahmad Abdul-Jabar (1978), Iraqi footballer who plays midfielder
- Abdul Jabbar (Canadian cricketer) (1983), Pakistani-Canadian cricketer
- Abdul Jabbar (Kalat cricketer), Pakistani Kalat cricketer
- Abdul Jabbar (singer) (born 1938), Bangladeshi singer
- Abdul Jabar (Qala-i-Jangi captive) (born 1975), Afghan Qala-i-Jangi captive
- Abdul Jabar (Bagram detainee), Afghan who was detained in the American Bagram Collection Point
- Abdul Jabbar al-Oqaidi, Syrian soldier
- Abdul Jabbar Azadi, Mechanical & Automation Engineer born 26/01/1987 From Muzaffarpur, India
- Salahuddin Ahmed (1999). A Dictionary of Muslim Names. London: Hurst & Company.
- S. A. Rahman (2001). A Dictionary of Muslim Names. New Delhi: Goodword Books.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|